PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles from skimmer....

whaase
02-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Here's the problem. My skimmer is a CC in the sump. It works pretty good, but I'm getting a tank full of tiny bubbles. What are the solutions? (Other than not running it (Bob)) :biggrin: If this was talked about somewhere along the line, please point me to the thread! Thanks

Walter

CHEAPREEF
02-08-2004, 05:16 AM
How long has it been setup? If it's new it will take a few days if not you might need to add some baffle/foam.

Clinton

martym
02-08-2004, 02:13 PM
You could try to reduce your flow of water. Depending on what type of skimmer you have, either increase air flow or decrease water flow. I've had to do that with the 3 different skimmers I have tried.

Bob I
02-08-2004, 04:58 PM
I have no skimmer, so bubbles are no problem, but here is a link mentioning bubbles. You can find it under Myth #14. Enjoy. :mrgreen:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.htm

StirCrazy
02-08-2004, 06:08 PM
I have no skimmer, so bubbles are no problem, but here is a link mentioning bubbles. You can find it under Myth #14. Enjoy. :mrgreen:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.htm

Bob, the link has nothing to do with the problem.. you need to delete that page as you are starting to take things out of context :mrgreen: anyways that #14 refers to harmfullness of microbubbles and goes to say they are not harmfull and they are not micro bubbles but rather macro bubbles. but they are a visual nussence and I think this is the reason every one wants to reduce them.

Steve

Bob I
02-08-2004, 06:13 PM
I am not taking things out of context. I am providing links to reading material. In my reading I saw something about bubbles and thought that if someone found usefull information there it would be great. I enjoy having an open mind. :eek:

StirCrazy
02-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I enjoy having an open mind. :eek:

:eek: man, skimmer, MH lights, and NOW an open mind.. you are full of surprises :mrgreen:

did you get the new bulb yet?

Steve

whaase
02-08-2004, 06:30 PM
How long has it been setup? If it's new it will take a few days if not you might need to add some baffle/foam.

Clinton

I just got the skimmer running last night. So it has not even been 24hrs.

I'll wait and see.

Thanks, Walter

whaase
02-08-2004, 06:34 PM
You could try to reduce your flow of water. Depending on what type of skimmer you have, either increase air flow or decrease water flow. I've had to do that with the 3 different skimmers I have tried.

I don't think I could reduce the flow anymore than it is. I only have a 301 powerhead on it. Here's a picture of the skimmer.

http://aquahome.no-ip.com/skimmersmall.jpg

It is working quite well as far a skimming and bubbles. Just to many bubbles in my tank :biggrin:

Walter

Dabbler
02-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Just give it a few days. My G2 was putting out tones of bubbles, now I can't see any comming out :biggrin:

Bob I
02-08-2004, 06:56 PM
I enjoy having an open mind. :eek:

:eek: man, skimmer, MH lights, and NOW an open mind.. you are full of surprises :mrgreen:

did you get the new bulb yet?

Steve

I just had the pendant modified by closing in the end as you suggested. I have not been able to run it for a full day yet. Today will be the first full day. I am still running the old AB bulb. I sent the Venki bulb to him last Wednesday by expresspost, so I can only wait. BTW I am getting some flickering from the light. Quickgrow said that is common, and I should make sure the bulb is screwed in tight. I did that but it still flickers. Any ideas :question:

Trevor Robertson
02-09-2004, 10:23 PM
I also have just gotten a new skimmer and I have had lots of bubbles at first, I have now ran it for a few days and al was well, almost none, but last night (although after a water change) noticed bubbles again and nothing moving into my collection cup.

Not really any help but I guess I am saying that it can happen here and there, talking to others it goes away after the break in period.

whaase
02-10-2004, 03:27 AM
After a couple days it has settled down now. Thanks for the help. :)

Walter