PDA

View Full Version : Substrate

molotov
10-21-2011, 12:34 AM
So when my new tank arrives I'm debating on whether to go with sand or crushed coral for a substrate. I've read that if you're planning on doing a reef you need a lot of water movement which can disturb the sand and blow it around. I do like the look of the sand but don't want to sacrifice water clarity by having it blown around.

I also know that the live sand acts as a bio filter and I like the idea of that combined with LR.

I'm curious as to what most people who are reefers do? And also if they're happy with the substrate they have or would do it differently.

ScubaSteve
10-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Not a fan of the crushed coral look so I prefer to stay with sand. I used to have a problem with dust storms in the tank if anything disturbed the sand but I now steer clear of the sugar sand and I actually mix a few different sizes of sand. In my current tank I have a mix of roughly 20% fine sand, 60% fine/med sand and 20% coarse sand. Kinda just played with it in the tank until it looked the way I wanted and wasn't too dusty. I did this using left over sand for previous tanks.