PDA

View Full Version : Why no Zoas or Clams?

Gripenfelter
10-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Zoas and clams used to flourish in my tank.

I had an anemone explode in my tank back in August. Killed most of my coral including sponges, torch corals, hammerheads, toadstools, leathers, 3 clams, and other anemones.

Did massive water changes and ordered new coral.

Been a couple of months now. All the new coral is flourishing (same coral as above) but I can't seem to keep clams or Zoas in my tank. They die within a couple of weeks or close up all together.

What do you think it could be?

I do 10% weekly water changes.

Nitrates around 10 or less.

Ammonia is zero.

Nitrites are zero.

Raf
10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Could be a predatory worm...

Check out eunicid worms online

daniella3d
10-20-2011, 04:09 PM
For zoanthids, it is best to dose with vitamine C if you are having problem with them without any obvious cause like parasites etc... For the clam, you may have introduce something with the new corals you added? Check for snails on it at night or other parasites. Does it have pinched mantles? You have a lot of angelfish, maybe some are nipping at the zoanthids and clams?

Also how did your anemone exploded? how can an anemone explode? Not sure I understand what hapened there.

Are you using carbon? if not, it may help remove what ever toxin is left in your tank.

What ligth are you using? maybe before you had more nutriment in the water and the clam did not need as much light? For the zoanthids, maybe your light is too strong or not strong enough, or maybe some parasites?

REally hard to tell without knowing more detail.

Zoas and clams used to flourish in my tank.

I had an anemone explode in my tank back in August. Killed most of my coral including sponges, torch corals, hammerheads, toadstools, leathers, 3 clams, and other anemones.

Did massive water changes and ordered new coral.

Been a couple of months now. All the new coral is flourishing (same coral as above) but I can't seem to keep clams or Zoas in my tank. They die within a couple of weeks or close up all together.

What do you think it could be?

I do 10% weekly water changes.

Nitrates around 10 or less.

Ammonia is zero.

Nitrites are zero.

lee9
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for this post. I came home from work last night and noticed my frag plug with some nice green zoas on it had been almost completely eaten by something. I did see one of these worms under my live rock the other day. The frag plug was moved near where I saw the worm.

I tried to get it with the tongs but wasn't successful. I guess I will work harder at removing it now.

Could be a predatory worm...

Check out eunicid worms online

Raf
10-20-2011, 04:52 PM
they are nasty, we had to remove one from a clients tank and it involved removing the suspect rocks from where we thought it was hiding, dosing the rocks with soda water to bring the worm out and making sure all of the worm had been removed by chipping the rock apart where it lived. A big job but a must if you want to keep those corals... :(

Gripenfelter
10-20-2011, 11:42 PM
I know snails did kill one of the clams. Sucked it out from the foot.

The Zoas I don't know.

Running LED lights.