PDA

View Full Version : Two wrasse Harems in a 275g?

asylumdown
10-20-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm thinking about stocking lists for my next tank, and I'm wondering if two small harems of fairy wrasses would work in a tank 6ft long X 3 ft wide? I was thinking a harem of lineatus wrasses (1 male 3 females) and a harem of one of the flasher wrasses (1 male, 2 females)

I've made the mistake of adding a flasher wrasse to a a 90 gallon with an already established lineatus and the outcome was not pretty, so I'm more looking to see if anyone here has been successful doing something similar to what I'm proposing above in a tank that size.

Myka
10-20-2011, 03:32 PM
I think you should be ok. What other specie of flasher have you been considering?

asylumdown
10-20-2011, 07:03 PM
I was thinking McCoskers, Carpentar's or Linespot.

Which one I choose will depend more on which I can get a harem for. I want to add the flasher wrasses first as a group, so I need to be able to get my hands on 2 females and a male of one species at the same time. I'll add the lineatus wrasses second. I'm tempted to try and track down 4 female lineatus wrasses and let one change in to a male to try and avoid aggression from the start.

Haloreef
10-20-2011, 08:41 PM
I have only recently (4 months) gotten into Fairy wrasses. I was inspired by vids on You Tube showing tanks with multiple sp. of Fairy wrasses.
They seemed to be doing it using only males, the most colourfull any way.
So... I have added a Rubrimarginatus, Aurantidorsalis, Scotts and Pyles with no problems in a 300gal system. The Pyle's only went in Last night but seemed ok will check today when I get home from work.
I would think your plan should work as long as there are hiding/sleeping places for every one.
Good luck!
Keith.

asylumdown
10-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Those are beautiful fish. Do you find that they flash at each other with only males in the tank? I'm trying to figure out if the flashing behaviour is tied to courtship or if it's a display thing they do towards other males.

If I can find a harem, I'll get Paracheilinus flavianalis. I will be sacrificing some fish space for less 'showy' fish, but I will hopefully be able to witness some more natural/frequent courtship behaviours.

Haloreef
10-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Yes, they are definitely flashing at each other. They have all become more colourfull since coming home. There has been no loss of colour, just the opposite!
Keith.

Myka
10-21-2011, 02:15 AM

Which one I choose will depend more on which I can get a harem for. I want to add the flasher wrasses first as a group, so I need to be able to get my hands on 2 females and a male of one species at the same time. I'll add the lineatus wrasses second. I'm tempted to try and track down 4 female lineatus wrasses and let one change in to a male to try and avoid aggression from the start.

McCosker's would be a great choice, they are quite peaceful. With wrasses you can use one super male, one sub-dominanant male and then however many females you want. The sub-dominant male will keep the super male in his brightest colors. I find super males and single males will flash at other fish if they don't have any of their specie in the tank.

Make sure you cover every square inch of your tank!

Myka
10-21-2011, 02:21 AM

McCosker's would be a great choice, they are quite peaceful. With wrasses you can use one super male, one sub-dominanant male and then however many females you want. The sub-dominant male will keep the super male in his brightest colors. I find super males and single males will flash at other fish if they don't have any of their specie in the tank.

Make sure you cover every square inch of your tank!

asylumdown
10-22-2011, 03:12 AM
I had a few wrasse disasters in my 90 gallon. This tank (the build thread in my signature) is going to be built in to the wall, so the space above the tank will be 100% sealed. They can jump to their hearts content, they won't be going anywhere.

Have you had success finding that many gender types of the same species before? I always see male wrasses in the stores, but hardly ever any females or groups of females at the same time.

Myka
10-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Females can be very difficult to find, you may need to ask your LFS to special order them for you. Sub-dominant males look halfway between male and female...like males that aren't as brilliant.