PDA

View Full Version : 75GPD RO Unit. How much water are you getting?

Maverick00
10-20-2011, 03:32 AM
I have a vertex RODI unit, however im running at a pressure well below recommended. Im curious as to how long it takes you guys to fill up a 5Gal bottle with a 75GPD unit so i can compare it with mine? Im trying to decide if i want to buy a booster pump...

Delphinus
10-20-2011, 05:24 AM
What kind of psi are we talking about? I run mine at 100psi and get pretty much 75gpd, give or take. It's not just the speed of output if you're running less pressure, but I think your product to waste water ratio is going to be much less also.

syncro
10-20-2011, 05:37 AM
80psi, 75 gpd membrane = 3 to 4 gallons per hour, 1 ppm tds

DAVE
10-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Also depends alot on what temperature your water is at...cold water will bring down your GPD

Reef Pilot
10-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Instead of a slight improvement with a booster pump, you might want to consider using these. I have two of them plumbed into my RO/DI system and have plenty of reserve water on hand for things like filling 5 gallon jugs. My 75 gpd system at 65 PSI fills the tanks back up in a couple hours.
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/PJT9203W/Water-Storage-Tank-32-Gallons.html

The Codfather
10-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Also depends alot on what temperature your water is at...cold water will bring down your GPD

But....let it be known that hot water should not be passed threw that membrane, as it will damage the membrane itself. Depending on manufacturer, temperatures vary but are close to 72-77F for better preformance.

Maverick00
10-21-2011, 03:31 AM
Im running around 26psi. Im getting MAYBE a gallon and a half per hour. It appears im running extremely inefficient.. I plan on moving in the next few months so i might wait it out until i know what kind of pressure my new place has since a booster pump is about 100 bucks?... Thanks for the comments.

Delphinus
10-21-2011, 03:41 AM
Oh wow. Yeah, that is WAY too low. Look into the booster pump.

Are you on a well with a pressure tank or something? I know in my house which was built in 2004 I had lower pressure but it was because there was a pressure regulator on the water supply. I tried to increase the setting but then I found the reason for the regulator when I went to have a shower and the water jets were these little supersonic streams of pain coming out of the shower head, haha. So I dialed it back down, shut off the water main, went to home depot and rented a crimper, tied the RO/DI feed line into the pipe just before the regulator. So for $10 or whatever it was I got 96psi on the RO/DI *and* could still have a shower. :lol: Dunno if that would work for you but thought I'd toss the idea out there.

If that doesn't work for you though definitely look into the pressure booster.

Hustler
10-21-2011, 03:46 AM
My 100gpd did 100gpd filling my 300 with cold water set to half the waste water at 90psi with 1ppm tds... seemed fair to me.... but now i want to see how much i wasted lol

Maverick00
10-21-2011, 03:47 AM
lol a 96psi shower? no soap required with pressure like that!

Im in a townhouse in victoria and from what ive heard victoria for the most part has decent water pressure. Unfortunately here is a different story, i looked for the pressure regulator in a box under the pavement just outside the front door but it looked more like just a usage reader so i have no idea. Booster looks like the only way to go, Argh a 150$ RO unit has turned into a 250$ unit.. typical in the hobby it seems :P

Maverick00
10-21-2011, 03:49 AM
My 100gpd did 100gpd filling my 300 with cold water set to half the waste water at 90psi with 1ppm tds... seemed fair to me.... but now i want to see how much i wasted lol

no doubt.. i couldnt believe how much waste water there was with an RO unit.. luckily water is included with rent at the moment :D

Funky_Fish14
10-21-2011, 04:26 AM
The waste water will go way down if you get a booster pump!

26 is definitely low and thats your problem.

I have dual 100gpd membranes (so 200gpd) and I get about 100-150gpd out of them with a booster pump, but im on a well with SUPER cold water, with just the pressure tank supplying the R/O unit, I was getting like a 7:1 waste/product ratio, but now with booster its more like 2:1 waste/product.

mike31154
10-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Many homes have a Pressure Reducing Valve in their plumbing. Standard setting is around 60 psi. Should be adjustable to bring up the pressure, but since you're renting, I wouldn't mess with it, if you find one. With pressure at 25 psi sounds like you're on a well or something.