PDA

View Full Version : T5 lighting switch HEEELLLLPPPPP

68shelby
10-20-2011, 01:06 AM
I just went to a tek light 6 bulb t5 lighting system, use to run a 150 halide and actinincs. But now algae has exploded in my tank, At first I thought the bulbs were old so I bought all new gieseman bulbs. I mean my glass is literally green in 3 days What gives? Help

Raf
10-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Sounds like you just added more light and algae is taking advantage of that. I would say limit the hours of light and gradually ramp it up over a month or two. Also, make sure your phosphates tare in check...run Rowa or a similar phosphate remover to help with algae.

BMahura
10-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Which bulbs do you have in. When I first got mine I had 2 fiji purples and algae bloomed like crazy. I replaced one with a higher k value which helped alot

Canuckgod420
10-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Sounds like you just added more light and algae is taking advantage of that. I would say limit the hours of light and gradually ramp it up over a month or two. Also, make sure your phosphates tare in check...run Rowa or a similar phosphate remover to help with algae.

I agree.
When I switched from MH to T5 I also noticed an algae bloom on the glass, so I reduced the light by half and gradually brought it back up over a couple of weeks, and now things are fine.

68shelby
10-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I will definitely try that. Il cut the light back a couple hrs a day and slowly bring it back up.