PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and skimmer

Proteus
10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Was wondering if light schedule has effect on skimmer. I have a vertex n250 and it was stable. But yesterday I added 2 hours to my mh and since my skimmers been over active. I can adjust it's height in water as it's in 13" right now but would like some input first. Also I checked water yesterday and all peramiters were good

Raf
10-19-2011, 04:35 PM
not usually unless perhaps there was some stress response from the corals or other inverts(mucus secretion/breeding response, etc) which made the skimmers go nuts....

Proteus
10-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I did a water change two days ago and added about five new frags. Just never had the skimmer go crazy while wide open. Since light came on skimmer calmed down. I'll let it level out for a day and adjust height as necessary. I have done second regiment of bioptim (probiado). If bacteria level hold any affect. I do understand ph and how it changes during lights off

Raf
10-19-2011, 04:54 PM
also, if you use an type of epoxy to attach the corals, it can make your skimmer react..

remember to maintain your airline and venturi input to the pump, they can build up with salt and calcium and prevent enough air from getting in. I usually pour some warm fresh water down the airline to help flush the build up away.

Proteus
10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
I use corsets glue for my frags and I build it up a bit to create a mount so there is a fair amount in the water. But your comment on the air line is something I will def look at. There is great bubble
Production but it could be struggling. I am tempeted To force Feed air into the Venturi as a few people have had good results. I guess all I can do is wait a day or two and make adjustments from there. To be honest I much prefered my octopus to the vertex. Just to bad it was to small