PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning skimmer collection cup?

Son Of Skyline
06-26-2002, 12:50 PM
How do you guys clean out your skimmer collection cups? I've been periodically flushing it with clean water but I've been leaving alot of the scum that sticks to the sides. I can't seem to reach in there enough to clean the sides out. Is it ok to just leave it and just keep flushing? Sorry for the newbie question...I'm still new to this skimming thing (I've been skimmerless up until recently). Thanks in advance...

Aquattro
06-26-2002, 12:59 PM
Mason, what type of skimmer do you have? That would determine how to clean it. I use a bottle brush to clean mine.

Son Of Skyline
06-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Reef_Raf:
Mason, what type of skimmer do you have? That would determine how to clean it. I use a bottle brush to clean mine.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the quick reply Brad. Currently I'm using a HOB skimmer, but I'm also thinking of the future if I'm going to use an in-sump skimmer. It seems like it's going to be very awkward to clean a collection cup in the tight confines of my stand.

Aquattro
06-26-2002, 01:07 PM
Mason, the cup comes of the skimmer. Take it to the kitchen sink and clean it with a brush. You don't need to clean it while it's in the sump!

Son Of Skyline
06-26-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Reef_Raf:
Mason, the cup comes of the skimmer. Take it to the kitchen sink and clean it with a brush. You don't need to clean it while it's in the sump!<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heheh...Thanks Brad smile.gif

I don't actually have an in-sump skimmer yet, and the cup doesn't come off my HOB skimmer. One of my reefing mysteries solved...9999 to go ;)

Mak
06-26-2002, 03:39 PM
I give mine a brush, and then use a spray bottle with hot water. It cleans out very good. HTH

canadawest
06-26-2002, 05:44 PM
Hmmmmmm, a HOB skimmer on which a collection cup doesn't come off? How on earth do you empty it then?

I've used both a Red Sea Prizm and now currently a Red Sea Berlin HOB, and both collection cups came off for easy cleaning.

As for a cleaning tip, here's mine:

I take my collection cup (and pumps, powerheads, whatever) to my bathtub. I have one of those water saver massage heads that is attached to a flex hose for mobility. Just set the head to the massage jet, and you get a nice powerful stream of water (much like a garden hose nozzle) for cleaning anything you like, without detergents or cleaners. Makes short work of my skimmer grunge and algae buildups and you can use any temperature of water you like.

No scrubbing involved. Think of it as a pressure wash for your pumps, powerheads and skimmer. :cool:

[ 26 June 2002, 13:46: Message edited by: canadawest ]

Son Of Skyline
06-26-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by canadawest:
Think of it as a pressure wash for your pumps, powerheads and skimmer. :cool: <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or a massage smile.gif

Thanks for the tip. This was my first skimmer so I guess I assumed that none of the had removable collection cups.

DJ88
06-26-2002, 06:20 PM
What kind of skimmer is it????? and where did you buy it? I haven't seen a skimmer with a non removable cup.

bcdope
06-27-2002, 04:14 AM
Just like your dirty dishes, you can also use dishwashing soap and some hot water, and give the whole unit a good scrub...also remember to take out the diffuser, since it tends to soak up the soap water....

nothing to it, good luk and give it a good scrub with a pad or bottle scrubber....

ps: I used to have a coral life skimmer but realized by LR was doing a fantasic job

Cheers

Doug
06-27-2002, 10:05 AM
When Jeff at Euroreef sent me the new pump, he threw in a cleaning brush. Its round, with long soft bristles. The most amazing brush I have used in the years of cleaning that skimmer cup.

Cant believe I have been using a tooth brush up to now. :rolleyes:

Son Of Skyline
06-27-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by DJ88:
What kind of skimmer is it????? and where did you buy it? I haven't seen a skimmer with a non removable cup.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a 24" tall 3" diameter HOB skimmer made by ASU, Aquarium Systems Unlimited or something like that. The company is local from Vancouver and I got it in a partial trade for some lps corals. I double checked and nope, the cup does not come off. It's siliconed on nice and tight.

DJ88
06-27-2002, 06:03 PM
Those skimmers are made by Grant at Big Al's.

Most skimmers have some form of removable neck/cup which you can they dump out and clean elsewhere. Makes things much easier.

What type of skimmer is it? can you describe it a bit? height, does it use air stones what kind of circ pump? etc

[ 27 June 2002, 14:05: Message edited by: DJ88 ]