PDA

View Full Version : Solatubes in Canada

asylumdown
10-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Anyone this far north ever experiment with these? They're a cool idea, but the whole 15 hours of daylight in the summer and practically no hours in the winter seems like it would be a problem.

outacontrol
10-17-2011, 04:23 AM
My parents have had one in their house for 20 years and it works good, it even gives light in the winter. I was going to put 2 or 3 in my house but the price was a little too high for me.

asylumdown
10-17-2011, 04:31 AM
I meant as a lighting option for an aquarium. There's a bunch of threads on RC where people have used them successfully to grow corals, but they've all lived way further south, like California, Florida, or Queensland (Australia).

I like the idea of them, but I don't know if our sunlight up here in the frozen north is capable of supporting tropical corals.

StirCrazy
10-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I meant as a lighting option for an aquarium. There's a bunch of threads on RC where people have used them successfully to grow corals, but they've all lived way further south, like California, Florida, or Queensland (Australia).

I like the idea of them, but I don't know if our sunlight up here in the frozen north is capable of supporting tropical corals.

they will help, but your still going to need electric lighting. will reduce your summer operating costs so if you have AC in your house also it will help offset thoes costs.

Steve