PDA

View Full Version : Help with herbie.

AquaticFinatic
10-14-2011, 02:50 AM
I have just set up my herbie and have read most things on the subject here. I have it silent for the overflow but hear the water running down the actual pipe. I have about a10' drop on this to the basement as the tank is on the main floor. The noise seems to be coming from the area just after my gate valve. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks.

intarsiabox
10-14-2011, 02:54 AM
Is the valve completely open and noisy or partly closed?

AquaticFinatic
10-14-2011, 03:10 AM
It's mostly closed as this is the only way it will balance.

intarsiabox
10-14-2011, 03:26 AM
In my own experience I never put a valve on the pipes going to the sump, only on my return pumps discharge line. I did it this way as only the amount of water you are returning to the tank with the pump will go over the overflow so all my tuning was done at the pumps discharge end and no restrictions to make noise on the overflow side. I suppose as the water goes through the restricted valve and then back into a large pipe opening it would by spraying the water onto the side of the pipe causing some noise? Is the level of water in your overflow constant or is it surging? My only other idea would be that with the valve almost closed the water above the valve builds up a bit of pressure and then surges through the line rather than a constant steady flow.

AquaticFinatic
10-14-2011, 03:40 AM
Thanks. I can get my level to stay constant so no problems there. It's just the noise that gets me. When I open the valve it doesn't make a noise but then I get the noise from the drain. What you say about the water rushing passed makes sense.

intarsiabox
10-14-2011, 03:52 AM
One more thought then, when you have the valve open all the way and get noise at the drain are you talking where the water enters the pipe to be taken to the sump (top of the stand pipe)? I would get a sucking sound at the top of my stand pipe when I was first setting it up and found that I just needed to enlarge the air hole at the top of the tee fitting, I ended up with a 1/4" hole before it stayed quiet.

doch
10-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Where is your restriction valve? I had this problem at first because I put the valve too close to the tank. I fixed the problem by putting a different valve right at the sump. Basically what this did is allowed the whole pipe (that in my case was out in the same area as the display) to fill with water, and get rid of the flow noises.Sounds like you have a fish room...? Put your valve within 6" (or so) of your sump, and you'll be good.

AquaticFinatic
10-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Where is your restriction valve? I had this problem at first because I put the valve too close to the tank. I fixed the problem by putting a different valve right at the sump. Basically what this did is allowed the whole pipe (that in my case was out in the same area as the display) to fill with water, and get rid of the flow noises.Sounds like you have a fish room...? Put your valve within 6" (or so) of your sump, and you'll be good.

Sounds like a good idea thanks. I'm gonna try that and see what happens. I put the valve close to the tank as it was easier than running up and down the stairs to make adjustments. How much did you need to close of this valve by? Yup I have a small room under the stairs.

mark
10-14-2011, 06:59 PM
This was my concern so I put my gate valve just above my basement sump (was the gurgling in the lines with Dursos as to and why I moved to a Herbie).

Was lot's of going up and down the stairs to first setup but considering I now go months without needing to adjust, not a problem.

AquaticFinatic
10-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I have now installed a valve just before my sump so will let the glue dry and try it tomorrow. Thanks