PDA

View Full Version : Test Kits VS Checkers. Lookin For Input

rastaangel
10-14-2011, 02:44 AM
I am almost outta test kits so im at the point ill need more soon so I am out to see what everyone has to say about the new hanna cal, alk and mag checkers and if they are really that much better and worth the extra money over a elso test kit?

toxic111
10-14-2011, 02:52 AM
I love my Hanna checkers (alk, & phos so far) easy to use, and accurate to boot

intarsiabox
10-14-2011, 03:44 AM
The advantage of the Checkers is that you get a definative answer on a test result rather than trying to match up a test tube to a color chart. So wheteher it's more accurate or not depends on an individuals skill on using standard test kits as Elos is of very good quality as well.

syncro
10-14-2011, 04:42 AM
From Advanced Aquarist:
Product Review: Inexpensive Analytical Devices: Hanna Instruments' Checkers: Alkalinity and Phosphate
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/8/review

doch
10-14-2011, 04:55 AM
I've tried several varieties of test kits with mixed results. I absolutely love the hanna's. I'm still growing to get used to the Ca one, but the Alk and the PO4 are supreme!! I find that with the Calcium one, you need to be VERY precise with your measurements in order to get proper results. I've used the same methods for 3 tests in a row and got results form 305-520. I'm starting to get used to it though. I've got my lines down pat, and methods perfected... sort of. I'm starting to trust it more and more.

Alk and PO4... wicked!!

Magnesium... not released yet is it?

Funky_Fish14
10-14-2011, 06:19 AM
So far I have hanna phos and alk checkers, with calcium on order. Alk and phos are great!

From Advanced Aquarist:
Product Review: Inexpensive Analytical Devices: Hanna Instruments' Checkers: Alkalinity and Phosphate
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/8/review

Great article to have linked, syncro! Thanks!

Myka
10-14-2011, 05:33 PM
There have been reports that some(?) calcium checkers are way out to lunch, but the alkalinity and phosphate ones are getting lots of good reviews.

doch
10-14-2011, 05:48 PM
There have been reports that some(?) calcium checkers are way out to lunch, but the alkalinity and phosphate ones are getting lots of good reviews.

I'm not ready to say this for sure, but I feel like the Calcium checkers take a little getting used to. After a few more tests I'm going to test to a known solution, and see what my results are.

Myka
10-14-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm not ready to say this for sure, but I feel like the Calcium checkers take a little getting used to.

What is there to get used to? I haven't used one.

blacknife
10-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I have alk anda phosphate. Both are great.
regular alk testing is simple,fast,and cheap, but. hanna's decimaal readings are Helping nail Down more frequent smaller dosages.

Phosphate i could never get an accurate reading and i am really glad i got it.

lastlight
10-14-2011, 06:24 PM
I use elos for ca, alk and mg and find the kits to always be very consistent. I suppose I never know if they're accurate but i think water consistency trumps having your levels at precise spots anyways. these kits are very easy to use and my eyes have no issue at all detecting a colour change. kits that have you comparing colours stink i think but these have distinct endpoints.

I bough the phosphate checker and used it once. it read 0 which seemed unlikely to me and I haven't bothered to use it since.

rastaangel
10-14-2011, 06:44 PM
You make a valid point... And no one has sold me on them LOL so I think ill stick to my Elso kits until they have made a better checker

Bblinks
10-14-2011, 07:43 PM
I have elos, salifert and hanna alk and phosphate checker. I found that alk is a bit high, it is always 0.6 higher than both elos and salifert e.g. salifert will read 7.4 dkh but the hanna will read 8.0(with the conversion either time 0.056 or divide 0.056), hanna does have consistant reading if I might add. all I do is just minus 0.6dkh from the readings.

Money pit
10-14-2011, 10:11 PM
What is there to get used to? I haven't used one.
At one point in the test you have to add .1 ml of tank water. I find you need good eyes and a steady hand to pull this off. Neither of which I can boast of on a steady basis. But I'm slowly getting better too. PO4 and Alk are great. I hope they come out with a NO3 checker soon.

Tracey2
10-14-2011, 10:30 PM
I love my hanna alk & phosphate checkers, accurate and easy to use, I don't like the calcium checker, pita.