PDA

View Full Version : Got my Ebay MH Bulbs - Wow!!! I am happy

globaldesigns
10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, I just got my Ebay order for 2 X 250W DE 14K Metal Halide bulbs. Thought I would try the generic route, worst case I lose a couple bucks.

I installed the Artemis bulbs, and all I can say is WOW!!!! Very nice color on start up, nice blue, just nice overall. Will have to see how they work once burned in, but so far very impressed.

I got 2 of these in from Ontario for under $50 including shipping and GST. Sorry LFS, but for that price, had to give them a try.

I don't want to break any rules, but PM me if you want the ebay link to the bulbs and seller.

Bblinks
10-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Can I get the link to the website where you ordered them from? I am coming up on switching my bulbs out.

Veng68
10-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Double ended or Single?

Cheers,
Vic

Skimmerking
10-13-2011, 10:32 PM
yup +1 for me too i use them and for 3 x 14K shipped its 70 bucks cant beat that .

globaldesigns
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Double ended or Single?

Cheers,
Vic

He has both I believe.

Veng68
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
PM link please :)

Cheers,
Vic

globaldesigns
10-13-2011, 10:43 PM
yup +1 for me too i use them and for 3 x 14K shipped its 70 bucks cant beat that .

Mike, you deal with HobbyLighting also? Good guy! and I must say, lights are great. Now they have only been on for a hour or so now, but I love them so far.

I have used Ushio, XM, Pheonix and Hamilton. Been luke warm to all them, but not these guys, and they are not name brand. Go figure, probably come out of the same plant in china.

MarkoD
10-13-2011, 11:04 PM
i bought these a couple months ago and keep them as backups for when my sps bulbs burn out.

Hustler
10-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Please PM me aswell :)
Im trying to figure out lighing on my 30" deep tank and LEDs arent there yet for me

Abe
10-13-2011, 11:41 PM
I have been using these for about 3 years now, I am happy with them the only thing that yo umight have to change them a bit earlier then the rest but with that price you can change them every 6 months :).

Lampshade
10-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Mind sending me the link as well please. I'm Looking at trying out a 14-15K bulb and this would be a good way to see how they look. If they keep my coral happy..... all the much better.

daniella3d
10-14-2011, 12:56 AM
I switched my Artemis for a Pheonix 14k and I regret it. My pink birdnest is dull now and it used to be bright candy pink. My maxi mini was at the bottom of the tank ans as soon as I put that new bulb it moved right at the top of the tank right underneat the MH. I thought that the Phoenix would be better and it is more blue in deed but it is not better and that thing cost me 75$!!! what a waste.

Next time I will return with the ebay bulb. I like the look of the Pheonix as it is much more blue than the ebay bulb but I do not like the amount of light it produce (not as bright) and the color it gives the coral, especially bird nest. My artemias was at 6 months old brighter than what the Phoenix is brand new! Except that the Artemias change color and was a bit more yellow after 6 months but the coral growth was still awesome.

Well, I just got my Ebay order for 2 X 250W DE 14K Metal Halide bulbs. Thought I would try the generic route, worst case I lose a couple bucks.

I installed the Artemis bulbs, and all I can say is WOW!!!! Very nice color on start up, nice blue, just nice overall. Will have to see how they work once burned in, but so far very impressed.

I got 2 of these in from Ontario for under $50 including shipping and GST. Sorry LFS, but for that price, had to give them a try.

I don't want to break any rules, but PM me if you want the ebay link to the bulbs and seller.

The Grizz
10-14-2011, 01:01 AM
I have been dealing with Hobby lights on Ebay for a couple years now for bulbs & have never been disappointed with them at all especially for the price. You could change them every 6 months & still be ahead of the game.

Took you long enough to see the light Rick, glad to see you finally loosened up the chaps :lol:

lastlight
10-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Do they sell an equivalent SE bulb? What type of ballasts are you guys running?

reeferious
10-14-2011, 01:23 AM
looking for future suppllies 14000k 250 watts halide bulbs but only see 10000 k on website. am i missing something?

globaldesigns
10-14-2011, 01:55 AM
I have been dealing with Hobby lights on Ebay for a couple years now for bulbs & have never been disappointed with them at all especially for the price. You could change them every 6 months & still be ahead of the game.

Took you long enough to see the light Rick, glad to see you finally loosened up the chaps :lol:

Yeah, glad I looked into it. Priced Right and like others said, I can change out every 6-8 months and still save alot of money.

globaldesigns
10-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Do they sell an equivalent SE bulb? What type of ballasts are you guys running?

I believe he does, will pm you the link for what I bought, you can check out his ebay store.

kobelka
10-14-2011, 01:57 AM
I would like to know also. Thanks

globaldesigns
10-14-2011, 01:57 AM
looking for future suppllies 14000k 250 watts halide bulbs but only see 10000 k on website. am i missing something?

He has every type (10, 14, 20K) in different types of bulbs.

The Grizz
10-14-2011, 02:00 AM

Go to EBay, search seller Hobby Lights Oneshop, I see lots of different k rating bulbs.

The Grizz
10-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Yeah, glad I looked into it. Priced Right and like others said, I can change out every 6-8 months and still save alot of money.

I vaguely remember tell you about these bulbs some time ago :whistle:

globaldesigns
10-14-2011, 02:06 AM
I vaguely remember tell you about these bulbs some time ago :whistle:

Nopers... No you didn't.... you are on glue!!! :biggrin:

Just kidding, don't really remember, maybe you did.

Hustler
10-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Do you use his fixture? and do you recommend them :)

globaldesigns
10-14-2011, 04:53 AM
Do you use his fixture? and do you recommend them :)

I personally use a Hamilton Belize fixture. But I can say these bulbs work great with Hamilton and their electronic ballasts. I hope this is still the case in 2-3 weeks, once the bulbs burn in.

Usually I have found bulbs to look like crap then get better with burn in, nice to have a great look right out of the box for once.

Bryan
10-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Don't see any 14k 250 watt DE bulbs on the ebay site?

globaldesigns
10-14-2011, 05:29 AM
Don't see any 14k 250 watt DE bulbs on the ebay site?

I pm'd you the ebay store, lots of DE bulbs on there. That is what I just installed.

Bryan
10-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Thanks, but don't see 14K DE bulbs on their store in 250 watt, are u sure u don't have the 15k's

ALang
10-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Changed my old bulbs out this end of August.
I have a Coralife Aqualight Pro 250W MH fixture.
So far I still like the new Artemis 14K bulbs. Very crisp. Not too blue, but day-light crisp and bright.
So waiting to see how long they take to turn colors to a different spectrum, if at all...
Like everyone said, they are cheap enough to be replaced every 6 months or so if necessary.
My corals seem happy enough. Lots of new growth, and great colors.
Definitely needed to properly thank The Grizz for sharing that info this Spring, or else I'd still be paying $80 or more per bulb!

Thanks, Greg!

Coleus
10-14-2011, 03:09 PM
darn i want to jump on these ebay MH bulbs so bad but i still have 3 brand new aquaconnect to go for another year. I hear only good things from these ebay bulbs

globaldesigns
10-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks, but don't see 14K DE bulbs on their store in 250 watt, are u sure u don't have the 15k's

Mine are 14K, maybe he is sold out, but I am sure he will have more. Best to contact him.

kien
10-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I too tried out eBay 15K builbs this past summer. I'm coming up on 2 months usage with them and love them. Previously I had Phoenix 14Ks which I found too blue for my taste. These eBays are much more white like Ushios that I used to have a while back, just the way I like it. I ordered like 6 of then at roughly $20 a pop. Not sure If I used the same eBayer as Global or Grizz but there are tonnes of them on eBay.

As a side note, when I first installed them I noticed that two of then after a week went from 15K to 10k (very yellow) and I was afraid they were crap! However, after a bit of experimenting I discovered that my ballasts were overheating which caused them to burn this way. After I rearranged my ballasts and putting a fan on them all bulbs burned as expected and I'm quite happy with them.

kien
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
PS. I would love to see LFS' bring them in and sell them. Even with a reasonable retail markup I would probably still buy them considering they'd be cheaper than the brand names. *hint*hint*

globaldesigns
10-14-2011, 06:47 PM
PS. I would love to see LFS' bring them in and sell them. Even with a reasonable retail markup I would probably still buy them considering they'd be cheaper than the brand names. *hint*hint*

+1, no way the LFS can sell these for $60+, but if they had a $10 markup, I would probably buy also, ease and convenience sake.

Pinchy
10-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I also ordered the 20k artimis and was very impressed! I have my fixture for sale on this forum and it comes with a free set of brand new artimis bulbs!!

pinhead
10-14-2011, 08:41 PM
My Artemis bulbs did not last nearly as long as brand names before needing to be replaced.

Anyone try Twin Arc Bulbs?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Reef-250W-10K-20K-Twin-Arc-Metal-Halide-Bulb-/350387286526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5194b5b1fe
I saw these at SEAMAX. They switch beween the two filaments with the idea that you run the 10000K during the day for coral growth when no one is around and have it switch to 20000K later when you are home and you want the colours to pop. Because there are 2 filaments, you can theoretically have the bulbs last twice as long.

globaldesigns
10-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Update:

It has been 11 days with these bulbs, and I still love them. They have had consistant color/intensity since first turning them on. Coral seems to like as I am seeing more polyp extension.

Going to wait another couple weeks, but if they keep performing as they currently are, I am going to order 4 more for future use. You never know if they will dissappear from Ebay.

The Grizz
10-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Your right there Rick, they could disappear but I don't think it would happen any time soon. They have been there for more then a couple years now, I got my first bulbs from Hobby Lights back when I still had my 155 BF. Glad they are working well for your too, I do too like them as well.

sunfish
10-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Hi, can you please PM me the ebay link for these bulb.
Would like to try them out too !

Thanks,
Kenny

The Grizz
10-25-2011, 03:36 AM
Hi, can you please PM me the ebay link for these bulb.
Would like to try them out too !

Thanks,
Kenny

On the way.

Ryan_Lap
10-25-2011, 03:39 AM
Someone please PM me the link.

Thanks

The Grizz
10-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Someone please PM me the link.

Thanks

Done.

MarkoD
10-25-2011, 04:14 AM
i've been running these bulbs long before they were cool

cwatkins
11-11-2011, 05:03 AM
Wow, what a difference from my really blue Phoenix bulbs!

Kevotron
11-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Could i get a PM for the link ?

The Grizz
11-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Could i get a PM for the link ?

Ill dig it up and send it to you.

Parker
11-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Ill dig it up and send it to you.

Hey Grizz, can you send it to me as well?

Douglas
11-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey Grizz, can you send me that link also, please?

Parker
11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Bummer, doesn't look like they have 400W DE Bulbs. I'll have to mail him.

luvthereefer
11-11-2011, 03:51 PM
does anyone have any expereince with hobby lightings t5 fixtures??

Lampshade
12-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Another big +1 to this un-named vendor that sells lighting for my hobby.... haha, i hope that gives it away. I just got 2 bulbs I ordered on Monday night, the arc-tube in one was broken, so i sent an email and he quickly responded and is sending a new one. Great service, especially for being 1/4 the price of the bulb's i'm currently using. I installed the other bulb, i was expecting the corals to take time to get used to the change since i'm running XM 10K's that are apparently nearly double the PAR according to sanjay's. But everything's happy as can be, even my clam is happy as well... a clam. Seems these lights have a good spectrum for the corals.

Here's a pic of the 14K and 10K... never realised how yellow the 10K was...
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/mikey_is_me_bucket/10Kvs14K.jpg

cwatkins
12-03-2011, 07:08 AM
One of mine died after a few weeks. He is sending out anew one.

daniella3d
12-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Little update here. After using the Pheonix 14k for about 2 to 3 months now, I notice better coloration in my corals. My blue tip acropora was kind of brown with blue tips and now it's a dark purple with blue tips, so much nicer.

My purple digitata is not brown any longer but purple. My pink birdnest got acclimated to the new light and it is coming back strong with new growth and a nice candy pink color. My yellow birdnest did not make it, it bleached very pale so I had to remove it and frag it.

Zoanthids and paly have great color and growth. Although this is 14k and rather blue compared to the Artemis, my acroporas are still growing 1" per month so that's cool.

So not so bad as I first thought and over happy with the switch. The problem with the Artemis is that it changes color after only a few months and I realize I much prefer the bluer spectrum of the Pheonix. Now it's a nice crisp white after the break in period.

Did anybody else had a lot of shift in color after 3 to 4 months with the artemis? like a yellowing? If I have to change the Artemis bulb 3 to 4 times a year it is not really cheaper than the Pheonix at the end. I was amazed at the adaptation that the corals had to do going from the Artemis to the Pheonix, even though they are both 250 watts and both 14k (supposably). It's the birdnests, pink and yellow that needed the most acclimatation.

I switched my Artemis for a Pheonix 14k and I regret it. My pink birdnest is dull now and it used to be bright candy pink. My maxi mini was at the bottom of the tank ans as soon as I put that new bulb it moved right at the top of the tank right underneat the MH. I thought that the Phoenix would be better and it is more blue in deed but it is not better and that thing cost me 75$!!! what a waste.

StirCrazy
12-04-2011, 01:48 AM
for everyone asking for a PM to the link.. just open google type in

Hobby Lights Oneshop

press enter and it will be there...

Steve

Bryan
12-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Ordered 2 of the 15K 250Watt DE bulbs and they arrived the other day. Quite impressed, both bulbs match in color side by side and the color to the eye is a crisp white with a tint of blue. They seem to draw less current. Apex shows 7.4 amps for the pair while the Ushio's drew 8 amps. I note they are quite a bit brighter than the Ushio's, guess it was time to replace the Ushio's.

cwatkins
12-25-2011, 06:40 AM
I had 2 Artemis that matched, then one died, which he replaced under warranty. But now the new replacement is bluer (nicer) than the original. So my left and right sides don't match 100% in color.

Bryan
12-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Probably different burn in times, but yes color matching could be hit and miss with these cheaper bulbs.

Kelvin
01-19-2012, 04:47 AM
Can you send me the link I also want to bye
Some thanks

The Grizz
01-19-2012, 04:51 AM
for everyone asking for a PM to the link.. just open google type in

Hobby Lights Oneshop

press enter and it will be there...

Steve

Can you send me the link I also want to bye
Some thanks

Try this first, if it doesn't work I can send you the link in the AM.

globaldesigns
01-19-2012, 05:00 AM
Still running them and still very happy. Great color and brightness, and the corals seem to like. I would still recommend

Parker
01-20-2012, 11:53 PM
I picked up some 400w 14k. They are quite a bit bluer than my 14k Icecap bulbs, I like them, we'll see what happens in a few months.

cwatkins
01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm chalking my ebay bulb experience up to be a failure.

I bought two of the 250W DE bulbs. One died after a couple weeks (a piece inside the glass broke off and was loose in there). Then the replacement that arrived wasn't the same colour temperature, so both sides of the tank looked different. As for different burn in times, one bulb only had a few weeks on the other one. Even after a couple months they still didn't match colour.

Also around the same time as getting the new ebay bulbs my (dual) Galaxy ballast tripped my GFCI almost daily. It would only trip when the ebay bulbs were in the fixture. The Pheonix 14k's wouldn't trip it!! (The GFCI tripping then apparently toasted an IC inside my Apex controller the day before I went on vacation, requiring me to reconfigure it in a very short time to using the old school timers). Then when I got back from Hawaii I had to send in my controller for repair (thankfully under warranty). <-- Lesson #1, use a dedicated DC wall wart power supply for the Apex base module and ensure it's on a different power bar/circuit. This will prevent damage when the GFCI or breaker trips.

Eventually my ballast deteriorated to the point that one lamp wouldn't ignite (it was the ballast for sure because switching the power leads around would cause the opposite lamp to ignite). Bad luck?

So the ballast was under a 5 year warranty, so Jeff @ JL replaced it. (THANKS!!!) I decided at that time to just go with new bulbs, so I bought some Hamilton 14K's to use, and put this bad experience behind me.

badAZZlars
01-23-2012, 10:42 PM
I just got 3 of the 250w 14k bulbs. Two of the three have the expected spectrum but one is yellow. Like 6500k yellow. Vendor is going to exchange it but can't say I'm too impressed right now.

globaldesigns
01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
I just got 3 of the 250w 14k bulbs. Two of the three have the expected spectrum but one is yellow. Like 6500k yellow. Vendor is going to exchange it but can't say I'm too impressed right now.

The fact he will replace says something... Standing by product is a sign of good service to come, at least one would hope.

I think all bulbs can have variances. I am happy with mine. And biggest benefit is the cost. Even if the bulb only lasts half as long, replacing it every 6 months is still cheaper than the major brands. Time will tell, but I have had mine running for 3 months now, with no variances, from start to now perfect light without any change.

Douglas
01-24-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm running the same ebay bulbs, but 250w 20k. When I got my first set, they were different colored. A quick e-mail back to the supplier, and he traded them, with no problem, and no questions. For the price, and service, I'll buy them again. And they look quite nice, if I do say so, for a quarter of the cost.

megs_clark
03-12-2012, 10:45 PM
I thought Id chim in with my recent purchase from Hobbylighting on ebay.

I bought two bulbs. He didnt have the exact 14k de bulbs listed so I emailed him. He said he has some in stock and sent a direct invoice from paypal. Got the bulbs and one didnt work. I messaged him, sent the deffective bulb back and waited for the replacement. It didnt come so I messaged him and he asked if I had a tracking number which I didnt for the return. He then refused to answer my emails. Even though I have the postal slip showing the return AND a slip from HIS post office saying my returned package was being held for him at HIS local post office till march 3rd. He just chose not to pick it up. :twised:

pterfloth
03-12-2012, 11:25 PM
I bought four 14k single-ended 250w and I have to say I am very happy with them after 6 weeks. The all match color very closely and my SPS and LPS have responded well to them. At 20% of the cost of what I was using before, I am pretty delighted.