PDA

View Full Version : Making 2 60s out of a 120?

kobelka
10-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I have a 120 gallon tank 4x2x2 with 1/2 inch glass. It has been sitting for 6 years or so. Can I cut it in half to make 2- 2' cubes? I guess I know I can, but does it sound like a reasonable DIY project? I have made plenty of sumps- cutting glass and siliconing but never a tank!
Thanks
Dave

ScubaSteve
10-13-2011, 09:26 PM
You likely could but you're going to have to breakdown the whole thing to get the individual sheets to cut them and put it together. Cleaning old silicone off is negative fun and takes a while. If the glass is in decent shape it could be worth it, just time consuming.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-13-2011, 10:13 PM
You will still be missing 2 (2'x2') pieces (I would suggest using these new pieces for the side most viewed) because 2 cube tanks together would make a complete rectangular box.

Doable, but lots of work. On the other hand, buying 2 small pieces of glass and some silicone is way cheaper than spending about $250-300 each on 2' cube tanks.

I have one & love it.

ScubaSteve
10-13-2011, 10:15 PM
You will still be missing 2 (2'x2') pieces (I would suggest using these new pieces for the side most viewed) because 2 cube tanks together would make a complete rectangular box.

Doable, but lots of work. On the other hand, buying 2 small pieces of glass and some silicone is way cheaper than spending about $250-300 each on 2' cube tanks.

I have one & love it.

Just built a 2`x 2`tank for myself. They are awesome!

kobelka
10-14-2011, 11:18 PM
I got it out of storage and am thinking of trying to cut it together on a diamond tile saw. Mabye thats crazy!
Thanks for the advice.
Dave

kobelka
11-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi,
Today I got around to dissassembling my 120. I took it apart and now have 5 pieces of glass. Next will come cleaning. I completely shattered the black trim. Hope I dont need it. Is removing the silicone done by a sharp blade alone?
I thought I saw in a thread somewhere that someone was doing a thread on how to build a tank. I guess what type of silicone is best is what I need to know. Do I stick the glass together with silicone then later run a bead to seal the corners?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Dave