PDA

View Full Version : Abs. Vs PVC

Proteus
10-12-2011, 01:47 PM
What's the diff. Between PVC and ABS. Are they both safe to use

BC564
10-12-2011, 02:23 PM
I searched your question because I didnt have an answer.....but I have just always used PVC.
"There are four types of plastic in general use. Black plastic, which is ABS,(Acylonitrile Butadine Styrene) and white plastic which is PVC and CPVC,(Polyvinyl Chloride and Chlornated Polyvinyl Chloride) ABS is used for drainage. PVC is used outside the house for cold water feed from the pump or the meter Also drainage both inside and outside the house. CPVC is rated for both hot and cold lines and can be used to plumb a house on the inside and then we have Polybutylene pipe,(PB or Polly Pipe) which is flexible tubing on water piping.:

Hope this answered your question.

sphelps
10-12-2011, 02:29 PM
ABS has more resistance to chemicals and the fittings are less restrictive as they are used for drainage. PVC fittings are designed for higher pressure than ABS.
Both however can be used in reef tanks, most prefer PVC and some believe ABS is harmful which is a myth. Which ever you use be sure to use the right cement for each and any transitions will require transition cement.

Proteus
10-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I was asking because I ran into a a few pieces of acrylic that is threaded and I am building a carbon reactor out of it the only pieces that fit my needs are black abs and have heard a few rumors about being
Toxic so I just needed some Advice before putting to use. Thanks now I feel more Comfortable.

lastlight
10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
speaking of transitions I think the common bulkheads we use are abs material. I've only ever used reg pvc primer and glue on these is there actually a more ideal way?

sphelps
10-12-2011, 03:30 PM
speaking of transitions I think the common bulkheads we use are abs material. I've only ever used reg pvc primer and glue on these is there actually a more ideal way?

You can get ABS to PVC transition cement, even HD sells it. More of a concern With standard ABS fittings on PVC pipe as the surface contact is small, with the bulkheads the pipe goes in far enough and fits tight enough where regular PVC cement still makes a permanent bond.

Cal_stir
10-12-2011, 11:48 PM
you can get a combo cement that works for both, C11 i believe, it works very fast so you must get things lined up quick

Bryan
10-13-2011, 01:18 AM
The solvent that you would use to glue for acrylic will also work for ABS.