PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Tongs

syncro
10-12-2011, 04:16 AM
These stainless steel Friscer Aquascaping Forceps (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=fr-ffat038) are rusting after just a few weeks of use. Is this reasonable? I love the them, they are great for target feeding and working in the tank without putting your hands in.

The Grizz
10-12-2011, 04:19 AM
They should not be rusting if there are made of a quality stainless steal. Do you rinse & dry them after use?

syncro
10-12-2011, 04:22 AM
No rinsing or drying until I noticed the rust.

babyreef
10-12-2011, 04:27 AM
BLANK

Bblinks
10-12-2011, 04:28 AM
I bought the same ones from Jl, same deal here, even after rinsing it with water and drying it they still rust. I guess that's why they are 10 bucks. I had a pair of medical snips that I used since my fresh water tank, never ever did I rinse them but they never rust. I think we have a verdict, junk!

Hustler
10-12-2011, 05:11 AM
They should not be rusting if there are made of a quality stainless steal. Do you rinse & dry them after use?

Stainless dosent rust..... if it is its an alloy and good for salads ;)
Ive seen tanks built with it..... still going.....no rust.
Thats my 2 bits

Corbin
10-12-2011, 05:16 AM
I believe Surgical Stainless Steel would not rust however, they would be more expensive...

unless your mother is a nurse haha :wink:

spawn
10-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I got mine from tailored aquatics, I rinse & dry, & still they get a bit of rust....

The Codfather
10-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Stainless dosent rust..... if it is its an alloy and good for salads ;)
Ive seen tanks built with it..... still going.....no rust.
Thats my 2 bits

As Greg said, poor or low quality stainless will rust, especially if exposed to salt water.

Myka
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
I think you have to pay $20-30+ for a pair that won't rust. Those ones are too cheap...they will just be SS coated. I would take them back...if enough people do that then J&L will quit stocking crappy forceps. :D

StirCrazy
10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
it isn't that its a low grade ect.. there are different grades of stainless for different aplications.. some stainless aloys are more expensive than others which is usaly a function of the amount on nickel in the aloy.. also the more nickel in the aloy the more resistant to rust.

what this is, is a company trying to maximize the money they make by using a less expenisve aloy of stainless that is not suited for this aplication.

another isue is that you should be rincing and drying your tools after use.. in this case to prevent rust, but you also want to prevent salt crystals from forming on the tools. this is just part of good tank keeping habbits and such.

Steve

Cugio
10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Pisces now carries ADA equipment. Very expensive but also very nice tweezers.

mike31154
10-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Got mine at Princess Auto. They are cheap & rusting but I don't care, use 'em anyway, don't rinse or clean. The small amount of rust does not appear to be hurting anything in my system. If you think about it, the GFO (granulated ferric oxide) many of us use to absorb phosphate is basically the same thing, a pile of rusty iron.

syncro
10-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll rinse and dry them but not worry too much about the rust.

ColinD
10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
I think you have to pay $20-30+ for a pair that won't rust. Those ones are too cheap...they will just be SS coated. I would take them back...if enough people do that then J&L will quit stocking crappy forceps. :D

Just head to your local kitchen supply store and grab a set of 'Kitchen Tweezers' less than $20 and they don't rust.

http://di1-4.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/92/8f/9c/106857424-450x450-0-0_world+cuisine+paderno+world+cuisine+cooking+tong s+.jpg

Colin

mike31154
10-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Ok, when I read forceps I automatically assumed the locking/hinged variety with handles more like scissors. After seeing the 'tweezers' Colin's post I checked the J&L link and was surprised that the thing they call forceps are actually tweezers as well. Bottom line for me is, the locking jobs I got from PA are much more functional than the J&L offering. A bit shorter @ 31cm (12") but that's minor compared to having the locking feature. Mine have the curved tip, but straight ones are available as well.

Note the "Kelly" forceps in the following link, this is similar to what I have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forceps

I guess J&L version would be considered "Thumb" forceps.

Edit: I guess what I have is also referred to as a Hemostat.

StirCrazy
10-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Note the "Kelly" forceps in the following link, this is similar to what I have.

I have the same type s you but 24" long and they came with silicone sleves you can put on the jaws.

Steve

MarkoD
10-13-2011, 07:56 PM
i use plastic...... never rusted once :)

christyf5
10-13-2011, 08:07 PM
If you give them a scrub with one of those green scrub pads the rust will come off (if it hasn't gone in too deep). I use it on my tailored aquatics pair and they're relatively rust free, except for the grooved "grip" part.