PDA

View Full Version : Refractometre/PinPoint Salanity monitor/Milwalkee Conductivi

Willito
02-06-2004, 05:27 PM
I am having a hard time deciding with of the 3 products to invest in. I want high accuracy, low maintainance, easy to use, and bang the buck!
Of the 3, which is least needed to be calibrated on a regular basis? Please, anyone with personal experience, give me your opinion. Thx.

Will

by the way:
Bue refractometre - $42
Pinpoint Salanity monitor - $115
Milwalkee conductivity - $70

Jason McK
02-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Um Your in the wrong hobby :biggrin:

None of them are really necessary, unless your a gear junky then half the fun is calibrating them.

If you have a CA reactor I would say get the pinpoint PH Monitor. Even if you don't I think its the most important. But it also requires the most maintenance.
A refractometer is cool but not as important. I would say it's the least for maintenance as you can calibrate it with RO/DI water.

Jason

Samw
02-06-2004, 05:50 PM
The best bang for the buck would be the swing arm salinity hydrometer. Next would be the refractometer. I don't have any of those 3 devices at the moment although I might get a refractometer 1 day.

Willito
02-06-2004, 05:56 PM
None of them are really necessary, unless your a gear junky then half the fun is calibrating them.

If you have a CA reactor I would say get the pinpoint PH Monitor. Even if you don't I think its the most important. But it also requires the most maintenance.
A refractometer is cool but not as important. I would say it's the least for maintenance as you can calibrate it with RO/DI water.

Are you kidding me, " it's not necessary"? You're in the wrong hobby my friend.

I do run a CA reactor, but my concerns are with the Salanity testing/monitoring equipments, not Ph.

thanks anyways.

Tman1973
02-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey Willito

Where can you get a refracrometre for $42?

Thanks,

Trevor

Ps - I have a Pinpoint Salanity meter and it started acting up on me. Currently I'm not a big fan of the thing considering it wasn't that old.

Samw
02-06-2004, 06:09 PM
I think those are US dollars.

EmilyB
02-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Are you kidding me, " it's not necessary"? You're in the wrong hobby my friend.

http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/frech/img/029.gif

Jason McK
02-06-2004, 06:29 PM
I want high accuracy, low maintenance, easy to use, and bang the buck!

I didn't mean to offend. I guess I'll stick to the fact and not attempt any humor.

What I meant by not needing any of the products is that alternatives that are less expensive and require no maintenance are out there. Swing arm salinity hydrometer, PH test kits. In my experience ( PH monitor, refractometer) they need a great deal of calibration and must be kept clean. Plus when there is a reading that is not normal the first corrective action is to clean and calibrate the unit. PH meter (Pinpoint) with the AC adapter are really susceptible to electronic noise and can give erroneous errors when calibrated perfectly.

J

Willito
02-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Thank you for your opinion, that makes much more sense.

With that info I am leaning more towards the refractometer. I didn't realized what the drawbacks were with the electronic monitoring equipments. Now that's something to think about, convenient vs. accuracy. Too bad they don't go hand in hand.

Jason McK
02-06-2004, 06:54 PM
I've heard with the pinpoint if you just use a 9V battery you eliminate the noise factor. It is a great devise, just touchy

J

Son Of Skyline
02-06-2004, 07:58 PM
I like using a refractometer myself, although I don't have one.

EmilyB
02-07-2004, 01:07 AM
I use the refractometer just to check the swingarms once in a while. Let's face it, getting out a refractometer to check four tanks is a huge PITA.

My swingarm matches the refractometer exactly. :smile:

StirCrazy
02-07-2004, 03:17 AM
Swing arm salinity hydrometer

J

in my opinion they are junk, I have one that is 0.002 out one way and another that is 0.003 out the other way.. I will be investing in a pinpoint salinity meter very soon. as for PH, test kits are hard to read and very dependent on your color perception so I recomend a PH pen or other type of electronic monitor. If a 2 miniut calibration every 4 months is to much just think about the 5 to 10 minuits needed to do a test each time you want to know what your PH is :rolleyes:

electronic guages / meters are way more accurate and conveniant but they do cost money. manual test kits are for people who want to save money.

Steve

fishnut
02-07-2004, 04:07 AM
To Willito:

I find my refractometer and PinPoint pH monitor indispensable.

There is practically no maintenance with the refractometer, except to occasionally calibrate with RO water, and it takes almost no time at all to get a reliable reading (IMO).

The pH monitor requires probe cleaning and calibrating only once a month. I use mine with a battery, and switch it on only when I want to take a reading.

aussiefishy
02-07-2004, 04:26 AM
a refractometer is a very precise equipment, for me tech junkie, it is the best (analog) toy you can buy... but for salinity meter, ph etc you need to recalibrate once in a while... so anything with a probe needs recalibrate at leat once every 3 month... conductivity meter?? i cannot compare salinity measure eqquipment with this... so i cannot help you with that one.

as for bang for the buck, out of the three i will buy refractometer... ( opinionated).

for myself, i will buy a aquadyne/neptune contoller :smile: and a refractometer. that is the best bang for the buck. :lol:

zulu_principle
02-07-2004, 03:40 PM
I agree with most that suggest that the cheap swing arm hydrometer is just fine.

A nice toy is the refractor, good bang for the buck as the price has fallen considerably in the last couple of years. Just make sure you get one with ATC.

As for the salinity monitor, they are very fickle to operate to calibrate and moreover just a very expensive piece of equipment for a measurement that is not required to be that precise. golden_eye on this board had a used one available recently if your interested you may wish to contact him.

JMHEO

Wendell

StirCrazy
02-07-2004, 10:48 PM
As for the salinity monitor, they are very fickle to operate to calibrate and moreover just a very expensive piece of equipment for a measurement that is not required to be that precise.
JMHEO

Wendell

so your saying that if I bought say 100 snails off you and used my swing arm to measure my tank and it gave me 1.025 and then I measured the water you shipped it in and it measured 1.025 all I would have to do is adjust temp and alk and I can throw them in? this is kind of a trick question as both swig arms I have will varry by 0.004 using the same swing arm on samples taken 2 minuits apart :rolleyes: swing arms are crude and not accurate by any means (I do 3 tests now and take the average).

Steve

EmilyB
02-08-2004, 01:35 AM
Which swingarm Steve ? Mine are SeaTest.

StirCrazy
02-08-2004, 02:08 AM
Which swingarm Steve ? Mine are SeaTest.

I have 2 sea tests (both crap) and a deep 6 (also crap) :rolleyes:

Steve