PDA

View Full Version : Aquaripure Nitrate Filter

Reef Pilot
10-12-2011, 12:59 AM
http://www.aquaripure.com/index.htm

Has anyone tried these? Sounds almost too good to be true. Gets rid of nitrates without a skimmer or bio pellet reactors.

Cal_stir
10-12-2011, 01:35 AM
it creates an oxygen depleted area to grow anaerobic (nitrate eating) bacteria, it requires dosing a carbon source such as sugar or vodka, i have not used one but i did a lot of research and ended up building a sulphur denitrator which i control with an ORP controller, the sulphur denitrator requires very little maintenance and works very well, my nitrates are less than 1ppm in a heavily stocked 90gal LPS tank with 22 fish.
i do run a skimmer and GFO as the denitrator does not eat phosphates.
i have been running the denitrator for about a year now, the only problem i had was i built it too large and had to remove about one third of the media after my nitrates dropped.

lastlight
10-12-2011, 02:12 AM
So ... If you did a 35% weekly water change on both tanks it would take 120+ hours per year. Even at minimum wage that would be at least worth $800+.

That is awesome! I had no idea I could charge out my hourly rate while I did tank maintenance!

reefermadness
10-12-2011, 03:17 AM
that has been around for a while....complete garbage if you ask me.

Lexy
12-26-2011, 03:31 PM

I m new to this hobby and trying to learn. Why do you think it complete garbage?

dsaundry
12-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Gotta disagree with that statement, mine has been up and running for about a year, numbers are great. I charge it with a few ml of vodka every few days and all is good. My tank is looking the best it has in ages and I haven't changed the water in my tank for almost a year now. So I am sold on mine.

Lexy
12-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear it work good on you. I was concerned cuz I bought one couple of days ago. Is there anything I need to about maintenance other than feeding vodka?

d33ps3a
12-26-2011, 08:13 PM
this sounds interesting. Anyone else have any experience with these?

intarsiabox
12-26-2011, 11:44 PM
It would be another cool toy if it works for sure. I wouldn't stop doing water changes though as water changes are used for a lot more than just expelling nitrates. The websites claim about saving lots of money on labour and 35% weekly water changes kind of takes it's credibility away from it though.

dsaundry
12-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Depending on the size of the unit I dose about 20-30ml of vodka every 3 days. Aquaripure say it reduces your water changes, not eliminates them. However my water specs have been great and I will probably do a partial in another month or so. But I like my unit so far and its been almost a year in operation.

reefermadness
12-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Sorry my first comments were harsh. The product is probably not garbage but it is just an old idea (vodka denitrator) with bad marketing if you ask me. Also seem over priced IMO.

Reef Pilot
12-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Well, I just bought another 6 months worth of Vertex biopellets today, so I think I will stick with that route for now. Have been on them for a quite a few months now, and they seem to be working. Definitely nice to just fill up the reactor, and not touch it for 3 months or so. I just add a cap of MB7 once in a while.