PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia Help

BMahura
10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
So after transferring tanks i have seen way to much aptasia for my liking. I have never had much success with peppermint shrimp and im not to sure where i should go from here. i want to get this problem under control before it gets to bad.
What are some suggestions that you guys might have?
Thanks in advanced

Corbin
10-10-2011, 11:56 PM
The cute little slugs?
http://www.seaslugforum.net/bergverraq.htm
Berghia verrucicornis (its proper latin name, Aeolidiella stephanieae??)

i just got some peppermints to see if they will handle the couple ive noticed popping up

BMahura
10-11-2011, 12:08 AM
I have been thinking about berghia nudibranchs but im afraid that my tank is not stable or mature enough for them as im just working on stabilizing my tank. Has anybody had success with these little guys?

reefwars
10-11-2011, 01:34 AM
unless your system is small and you want to set up a breeding tank for them nudis imo are a waste of time and money. either lemon juice the ones you can or use kalk or buy a matted filefish, their hardy and eat frozen or flake/pekllet, they can nip at some corals mainly lps and zoanthids but theres ones that dont touch a thing.in a matter of a couple weeks they can clean your whole tank up and then afterwards they make a unique addition to your system:)

peppermints will work most of the time but theres strength in numbers so you need a few of them and they do a better job in tanks that theres not an overabundance of available food.....why go for kraft dinner when steak is served 3 times a day right:)

butterflys are hard to keep

electricity is always fun if your not dealing with plague proportions

BMahura
10-11-2011, 02:11 AM
I think im going to pick up 3 or 4 pepperments in the next few days to see if that will help. i currently have mostly lps and zoas so i dont think a filefish would do any good to me. I dont want to take a risk though.
Would you suggest target feeding my fish then once i put the pepperments in?

reeferious
10-11-2011, 02:30 AM
don't know if seagrass equates to matted file fish. have seagrass file fish in my tanks that chow down on aptassias and mojanos and don't touch any lps, sps etc and when these are under control they're just as quick to go for any meaty food i feed my tanks with.

BMahura
10-11-2011, 02:46 AM
don't know if seagrass equates to matted file fish. have seagrass file fish in my tanks that chow down on aptassias and mojanos and don't touch any lps, sps etc and when these are under control they're just as quick to go for any meaty food i feed my tanks with.
I might have to try one of these guys out. Where have you got your from?

reeferious
10-11-2011, 02:59 AM
got all of mine from kinged pet not sure if they ship out but j&l get them in every so often best you send j&l a request email. both are in burnaby, b.c.

BMahura
10-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Alright thank you very much.

The Grizz
10-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Only 2 things have worked for me, an apitasia zapper ( not on the market anymore ) & a CBB that I bought off a fellow reefer with a mad hunger for apitaisa & tiny feather dusters.

BMahura
10-11-2011, 04:42 AM
I was thinking about posting something for anybody who has an old zapper. I have also seen a couple DIY Zappers. I was just unsure if they worked or not

Aquarium_Medics
10-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Actual Paul Baldassano, who has a patent pending, has produced his Apitaser. You can purchase them through this retailer and it's the only one i know of.

http://tropicalreefcorals.com/product.php?id_product=155

The Grizz
10-11-2011, 05:53 AM
No Canadian shipping yet from what I can tell.

Aquarium_Medics
10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
they ship to Europe, so I would think they would ship to Canada.

Parker
10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I had a matted filefish, didn't touch one aptasia in my tank. I'm about at my wits end with these things...

pscott99
10-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Pulled out a live rock and used a bbq lighter. Lightly rinsed the residue off and put back in tank. Worked really well.

Vinegar in a turkey baster and a test kit syringe. Couple doses usually gets them. Carbon doses tank at the same time fyi.

Two peppermint shrimp. Hang out under a rock and wait for feeding time. Useless so far.

File fish I was told by a long time reefer. Have not bought one because I seem to have it under control.