PDA

View Full Version : Carbon

reefme
10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I have a question on carbon. Is it best in filter bag or Reactor?
I do have a sump.

Thanks

Abe
10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
I believe it`s best in a reactor, because the water has a longer contact time with the carbon then when it is in a bag.

paddyob
10-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I believe it`s best in a reactor, because the water has a longer contact time with the carbon then when it is in a bag.

+1. Only makes sense that pulling water through carbon directly is more efficient than dropping and soaking a bag in water that can "go around" the bag that becomes water logged and a packed.

The Grizz
10-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Reactor for sure, makes changing the carbon easier and has a better contact time with the water. Just make sure you have just a little movement of the carbon so it does not plug up.

paddyob
10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Reactor for sure, makes changing the carbon easier and has a better contact time with the water. Just make sure you have just a little movement of the carbon so it does not plug up.

+1. And not too rough or it will cause the carbon to breakdown.

globaldesigns
10-10-2011, 11:23 PM
I would probably say reactor also. Personally I stopped using carbon about 4-5 months ago, and can say I am having much more success now. With the SPS issues I have had over the past while, at least they are not dieing anymore, and can see some healing happening. So for now, no carbon for me, water is crystal clear and inhabitants are still happy.

Running LR rubble in sump to skimmer, with cheato refuge, then through Purigen before return to Display.