PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove Questions

Madreefer
10-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I have a hard time growing chaeto i my fuge. I'm running a GFO reactor. So i'm thinking of trying a couple of mangroves instead. Any opinions on them? Would rather not waste my money if they wont grow. If not than i'll just turn my fuge in to place for pods to grow and remove the light from it to even save more power costs.

Proteus
10-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Any plant need nitrates to grow along with other nutrients. If there not available then no plant will grow

Madreefer
10-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I know that. I'm just asking if they're easier to grow than chaeto.

Proteus
10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
O ok. Mine have taken right off. Only ever lost one that came from a high ammonia tank. I don't even have the lights on them now. As I'm building new refectories for them and there's still growing

MarkoD
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
mine grow great. i have the roots submerged in the top 2 inches of water in my sump. i run the lights same as my tank lights and my cheato opposite of my tank lights.

Madreefer
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
thanks guys. Question answered

spit.fire
10-09-2011, 09:58 PM
mine have been floating around on the surface of my display tank for about 2 months now and the root systems just keep getting bigger and bigger on them, i didnt even acclimate them to full saltwater from the brackish water they were in, just dumped them in the tank and left them