PDA

View Full Version : Complete 150 gallon system up for sale

Quinn
02-06-2004, 04:28 AM
As some of you know, I will be transfering to Lethbridge to complete my BA this September and as such my 150 gallon reef is for sale. I may be spending a few weeks in Europe this summer so it will be necessary to have all the livestock sold by mid-June. I am not in a huge rush at this point in time, and will therefore begin by offering the entire system as a unit (some livestock being an exception, see below). If I have no luck this way then I will be happy to part out the components piece by piece starting most likely in April.

As far as pricing goes I am not set on any particular sum, however as noted I am not particularly concerned about selling everything together and therefore will attempt to recuperate most of my costs. All in all, I expect I've spent about $4000 on the system, and that only by being thrifty and making carefully researched purchases. If you are at all interested, please don't hesitate to make me an offer. I would also be open to a purchase plan of sorts if that is more desirable for the purchaser. My father owns a large delivery van which would be suitable for delivery to Calgary, Edmonton or any area in between or within a fairly close radius.

On to the specs, an abridged version of http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5489.

The tank is a 4'x2'x30" 150 gallon Inter-American full Starphire glass tank with a 2" overflow and eurobracing. It is in mint condition with absolutely no scratches. The sump is a 4'x1'x18" 50 gallon glass tank with glass baffles and a 17 gallon refugium built in. The return pump is a Mag12. Circulation is provided by four Maxijet 1200s and a Wavemaster Pro. The main tank is lit by two 400w single-end bulbs, currently Ushios, with Spider reflectors. These lights are running on a PFO TAR ballast from J&L Aquatics. I do have actinic lighting but I haven't gotten around to connecting it yet. I may or may not do this, regardless it would be included with the tank. The sump is lit with a 40w normal output fluorescent tube. In the sump there is a Berlin Classic HOB skimmer and a Canadian Man DIY calcium reactor with 5lb CO2 tank and selenoid valve, as well as a DIY auto top-off system made with a Rubbermaid container and a simple float valve. The tank is sitting on an oversized and overbuilt stand, finished with pine doors that are completely removable. The sump sits inside this stand, which is ventilated with a 4" fan and a 6" clip-on fan and includes 16 three-prong plugins (not GFCI). The canopy is almost 2' high and is also pine, and includes two 4" ventilation fans. The tank includes a variety of accessories including electronic thermometer, hydrometer, test kits, cleaning magnet, nets, extra tubing, buckets, a small quantity of carbon, etc. An electronic pH probe is also available.

Fish include an Atlantic blue tang (Acanthurus coeruleus), a pair of black saddleback clownfish (Amphiprion polymnus), a Potter's angelfish (Centropyge potteri), a bicolour blenny (Escenius bicolor), an orange maiden goby (Valenciennea puellaris), and a pajama cardinal (Sphaeramia nematoptera). Invertebrates include a pink Hawaiian cucumber (Holothuria sp.), a tuxedo urchin (Mespilia globulus), 25 assorted snails, a strawberry conch (Strombus luhuanus), 10 scarlett-legged hermit crabs (Paguristes sp.), three scarlet cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) and a wide assortment of hitchhiker worms, pods, tunicates, chitons, snails, clams and unidentified organisms. Cnidarians include ~25 different SPS corals, ranging from small frags to small colonies (possibly including Montipora sp. and Acropora sp.), a long tentacle anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis), two rocks with green star polyps (Pachyclavularia sp.) on them, one large, one small, and a scattering of polyps, zoanthids and mushrooms. The tank contains ~250lbs of live rock, and there is 4" of live sand in the main tank and 7" in the refugium.

As aluded to above, I will part out the livestock. However, this livestock will NOT be on a first-come, first-serve basis. Instead, livestock will be sold to aquarists who I know will provide the kind of environment I know my animals will be "happy" and healthy in. Unfortunately I must also give Calgarians priority, namely because I will be closer to Calgary and it is likely that I will persue my Masters and possibly further degrees in Calgary within a few years time and would like to be able to "keep tabs" on my pets. Naturally, the livestock will not be available until June, as noted above. The following is a list of the livestock I am willing to part out. If you have already spoken to me about these animals, please reconfirm you are interested, as I will compile a list of interested parties. When I am ready to sell, I will decide the going price for each animal.

-Atlantic blue tang: Great personality, eats from my hands. Enjoys almost anything edible. Approx. 5" long, will grow larger. Needs to be the boss of the tank. Possibly my favorite fish.

-Black saddleback clownfish: Beautiful fish, no visible orange left. The female is queen of her castle and may cause problems for small fish, as she harasses my goby on occasion. The male spends most of his time being pushed out of their anemone by his girlfriend.

-Potter's angel: Lovely fish, doesn't cause problems for anyone or any coral, although I would be careful with single polyp LPS corals. Normally one of the more difficult dwarf angels, this one is in fantastic condition.

-Bicolor blenny: Cute little fellow. At one time a suspected SPS nipper, it seems to have been cured of this habit.

-Orange diamond goby: My other favorite, spends most of her day working on her burrow. She is not a destructive burrower however, and will happily stick to one burrow towards the front of the tank. Must be target fed mysis or similar foods daily.

-Pajama cardinal: He's a cardinal. He doesn't do much. Not much to say about him.

-Long tentacle anemone: I would be willing to split this from its clownfish. It is tan and yellow. Doesn't eat in my tank, may do better in yours.

-SPS corals: Of my ~25, I would like to see 12 or so in the hands of a Calgarian, as I am very interested in how they turn out in the future. These include a fast-growing tan birdnest, a forest green acro, a brown acro that is slowly turning turquoise, two pieces of a lovely purple/yellow/turqoise acro, a brown acro that is turning yellow/green, a brown acro with purple tips, a brown acro with blue tips, and an odd acro that is a rather undescribable colour, a mix between pink, green and brown, depending on the day.

-Strawberry conch: Who doesn't love conchs. This guy is just a hoot and as such I need to know he's going to a good home.

If you are interested in livestock or the entire system, please PM me in confidence. If you have questions (I've likely missed a few things), please post here so everyone can share in the answers.

Now if only this were a term paper I had just put 1,192 words into. :rolleyes:

CHEAPREEF
02-06-2004, 04:32 AM
PM sent.

Clinton

Seriak
02-06-2004, 03:12 PM
PM sent

Interested in whole setup!

Chris

Quinn
02-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Wow, talk about "you have a new private message"! Thanks to everyone who's expressed interest so far.

To clarify a little bit. The SPS corals that I've listed as being of particular interest to me continue to grow, and as such I cannot establish a price for them until at least May. I am not going to frag them out as part of this sale, in other words, the winning buyer will be the person to talk to about frags. About half of these corals are pieces from Calgarians anyways. Priority for these corals will go to individuals with the proper setup for maintaining SPS, ie. metal halides and calcium reactors.

I don't know how I missed this. Photos of the tank are available at http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish.

Stretch
02-06-2004, 11:22 PM
PM sent

mario
02-07-2004, 07:57 PM
pm sent
mario

Quinn
02-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Bump...

Quinn
05-07-2004, 11:42 PM
I am now prepared to start parting out livestock from my system. Everything has to be gone by June 24th. The following is a list of corals that are available as of now. However, I will not consider delivering at this point in time, so interested parties may want to consider a Sunday drive. Please drop me a PM to let me know if you are interested in coming to grab anything. If more than one individual is interested in a piece, I will sell to whoever comes to pick up the piece first. I have listed what I think is a fairly accurate price, as well as the aquarist from whom I obtained the original frags (all of my corals started as frags), and my understanding of the recommended tank conditions. As well, several of the animals listed as brown may colour up further under different halide lighting. Finally, I am not really sure of the value of these pieces; therefore I am open to negotiation

-Blue-tipped brown Acropora sp. (staghorn), medium colony - $25 – Tony – Requires halides and excellent water quality.

-Green Montipora digitata, medium colony - $25 – Jonathan – Requires power compacts, VHOs or better, halides recommended, and good water quality.

-Green Montipora digitata, frag - $10 – Jonathan – Requires power compacts, VHOs or better, halides recommended, and good water quality. - http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/sale%20corals%20mar%2014%2004/5.jpg

-Orange M. digitata, small colony - $25 – Tony - Requires power compacts, VHOs or better, halides recommended, and good water quality.

-Purple/pink M. capricornis, small colony - $25 – Tony - Requires halides and excellent water quality.

-Yellow M. capricornis, frag - $15 – Duaine - Requires halides and excellent water quality.

-Green/brown Acropora sp. (staghorn), frag - $15 – Duaine - Requires halides and excellent water quality.

-Turquoise/brown Acropora sp. (staghorn), frag - $15 – Duaine - Requires halides and excellent water quality.

-Turquoise/brown Acropora sp. (staghorn), small colony - $20 – Duaine - Requires halides and excellent water quality.

-Purple-tipped brown Acropora sp., frag - $15 – Tony - Requires halides and excellent water quality.

-Green Briareum asbestinum, freakin’ huge colony (8”x3”) - $50 – Jonathan – Requires power compacts, VHOs or better. Includes a chunk of LR - http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/sale%20corals%20mar%2014%2004/3.jpg

-Green Briareum asbestinum, medium colony (4”x4”) - $25 – Jonathan – Requires power compacts, VHOs or better. Includes a chunk of LR.

-Green/yellow Hydnophora sp., frag - $15 - Jonathan - Requires halides.

Dez
05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
Hey

Is the potter's angel spoken for? I'd be interested

des

Stretch
05-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Remember I would like the cleaner shrimp and wavemaker

Quinn
05-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Des, Steve in Calgary has expressed interest in the angel but it's yours if he decides not to take it.

Jesse, I have you down for the shrimps and the wavemaker. One of the shrimps died a few weekends ago (when my S. hystrix died) and therefore I only have two now. :sad: However I think this is how many you mentioned taking in the first place anyways.

I should mention that as soon as the majority of the corals currently listed are gone, I will be ready to start selling live rock and the mobile livestock. Some of the rock is Kanai rock from J&L (~70 lbs) and the rest (~150 lbs) is base rock I bought from an ex-hobbyist, however all of it is live. The pieces on the bottom supporting the rock structure are, however, not covered in coraline and obviously do not have the population of flora and fauna that the top rocks do, as they are largely shaded. Once I am ready to sell these items, I will post here.

Man, I'm pretty attached to these critters. It will be tough to see them go. :frown:

Willito
05-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Hi Quinn,

Below are what I interested in, are these still available?
If so, when would be a good time to drop by. I am from Calgary.
I am also thinking of picking up some other pieces if there are available when I there. Please let me know. And address too please.

thanks
Will

Purple/pink M. capricornis, small colony - $25 – Tony - Requires halides and excellent water quality.

-Yellow M. capricornis, small colony - $20 – Tony - Requires halides and excellent water quality.

Buccaneer
05-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Hey Quinn ... the Potters Angel ( sorry Des ) and the clown pair for me :cool:

Quinn
05-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Looks like I will be in Calgary this evening. If anyone north of downtown wants anything, give me a call at (403) 782-4578 and I'll save you the trip.

Quinn
05-10-2004, 09:45 PM
This is tougher than I thought. I have a feeling my other corals will go quicker but these ones... geez. Almost no interest at all.

I am willing to ship if anyone out of the area is interested. Drop me a PM.

kuatto
05-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Quinn
What do you have left that is not spoken for??

Jim

Quinn
05-11-2004, 12:31 AM
From that list of corals, everything. :mrgreen: I have your green M. cap as well.

I should also note that I'll let all of the corals on the list go for $200.

EmilyB
05-15-2004, 03:56 AM
Saw you were offering the rock off in Edmonton Quinn. Glad to see it !

We won't be buying any now, sorry.... :sad:

Quinn
05-15-2004, 04:34 AM
Deb, I have ~220lbs and a list of names. My understanding was that you only wanted some, not all. Regardless you are first in line and therefore will have first pick of whatever volume, if you still want it. :neutral:

On another note, all the corals in the above list are gone so I will be ready to start moving rock and fish very soon. I will contact all the people on the rock list within a week or two at the very most.

Quinn
05-19-2004, 06:09 AM
My calcium reactor is available. It was built by Canadian Man and quite handily took care of my system. Also includes a partly full 10lb CO2 tank, a Mag3, selenoid and bubble counter, and some media - in other words, ready to roll. Any technical questions should be directed to Canadian Man. I am willing to ship COD via Greyhound. $400 firm.

Quinn
05-21-2004, 04:03 AM
Calcium reactor is gone. All the corals on the first list are gone.

Rock is now available. I'll be PMing everyone on my list to discuss arrangements. If I don't PM you, I may have forgotten to add you to my list way back in March or April so let me know. Fish will finally be ready to go, very soon, I will message those of you who are on the fish list, except Tony, Steve and Beth, because I've talked to you three recently and I'm fairly certain you're still in. :biggrin:

Quinn
05-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Still have rock available, $5/lb. Big pieces only.

Also have a pink/black Hawaiian cucumber (Holothuria sp.?), $15. Does a good job on sand (large tank only).

A tuxedo/royal urchin (Mespilia globulus?), $15, includes assorted decorations. :lol:

A tan long-tentacle anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis), $20.

mpishi
05-27-2004, 03:14 AM
rock still available?

any other bits and pieces?

in process of moving my rather cramped 33 gallon to 75 and was mostly planning on more rock since the toadstool, cabbage, polyps etcseem to grow pretty well

just wish my girlfriend would let me attack them with a razor for trading purposes

i've got 2 small tuxedo urchins and really like them but my 4 stripe damsal lost an eye from getting to close, kinda gross , he swam around with some spines in his eye for about a week, went quarantine and has recovered well, that was about 6 months ago

cheers

ps , how big are the pieces? roughly

oh yeah, reckon 75 gallons is big enough for the cuke?

Stretch
05-27-2004, 03:19 AM
Let me know when i can pick up the wavemaker and shrimp

Or do you deliver :lol:

Quinn
05-27-2004, 03:31 AM
Jesse, the shrimp can go anytime. It would probably be best if you came for them. The wavemaker can go as soon as I empty the tank, hopefully soon.

Mpishi, the rocks range from about 9" to about 18" on the longest dimension, some are long and flat, others are cube-ish. A variety, really. I think the cuke would be fine in a 75 gal, given you have a fair bit of sand, and gunk in that sand. If you're interested we can arrange a date for you to make the trip and pick some up (no deliveries on the rock, sorry).

Stretch
05-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Ok I can pick them up tommorrow ifs thats alright.

PM me when a time is good for you

Quinn
05-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Sorry Jesse, didn't see this until today. Sent you a PM.

Still have rock that needs to go.

DOO-E
05-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Sent u a pm

Quinn
06-07-2004, 08:28 PM
The majority of my rocks are now in a secret location somewhere in Calgary. :mrgreen: If anyone is interested please have your people contact my people and we'll make arrangements. Still $5/lb. I do have some at my house as well.

shotzee
06-08-2004, 07:52 PM
So I'm just curious as to what you still have available?

Quinn
06-08-2004, 08:22 PM
As far as live stuff/livestock goes, rock, sand, a pink Hawaiian cucumber, and possibly a tang, but I'm picky about where she goes. I'll list my remaining equipment after my livestock is gone (stuff like skimmer, lights, sump).

DOO-E
06-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Do you have any VHO's i am looking for 36 inch bulbs

Quinn
06-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Nope, sorry.

Quinn
06-18-2004, 05:06 AM
Still have the pink Hawaiian cuke.

Quinn
07-06-2004, 04:19 PM
I had an accident while I was on vacation (http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=83678#83678) and the 80lbs of LR I had in my tank is now fairly sterile. Much of the life on the rocks has died and will take time to come back. I had a buyer before the accident but obviously I wouldn't expect someone to take this stuff for an established tank now, as it will need to be cured. If someone is setting up a new tank and needs rock, let me know as I'll make a deal since the rock isn't really "live" anymore.

I have a lot of sand in the same shape as the rock, good quality but kinda dead now. If you're interested let me know and we'll work something out. Probably 200lbs of it I guess.

I have a Berlin Classic skimmer with Rio pump available, $150 OBO.

My dual 400w halide canopy is available, the canopy is 48x24" and about 16" high with a removable top. I'm not much of a carpenter though so it's a bit ghetto. But the ballast, moguls, reflectors and cables are in good shape, the bulbs are over a year old now (Ushios). I'll also throw in some unmounted actinic bulbs and a ballast. $550 OBO.

http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/canopy%20jun%202%2003/canopy.jpg

http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/canopy%20and%20fuge%20jun%204%2003/side-1.jpg

http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/done%20jun%205%2003/canopy%201.jpg

http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/done%20jun%205%2003/canopy-2.jpg

http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/done%20jun%205%2003/canopy-4.jpg

Quinn
07-09-2004, 04:04 PM
I'll be in Calgary tonight, could meet anyone interested in the uncured live rock. Drop me a PM if interested.

Quinn
07-30-2004, 09:15 PM
The tank is available again, 48x24x30" 150 gallon, full Starphire, 2" black glass overflow, Eurobracing, black silicone. Excellent condition. Willing to look at shipping to other parts of the country. Comes with the stand as well. PM me to discuss.

muck
07-30-2004, 09:20 PM
pm sent.

Quinn
08-06-2004, 02:43 AM
Ok... currently up for sale we have a lovely Berlin Classic skimmer, still, with Rio pump, no damage, just dirty from use. Works well, rated to 150 gal, probably best on anything below 90 gal. 20" high. I will be in BC next week and could drop it off in Kelowna, Vancouver, Nanaimo or even Tofino/Ucluelet. $150 firm.

EmilyB
08-06-2004, 03:17 AM
You might put that on Ebay Quinn.

Quinn
08-06-2004, 03:29 AM
A good idea, and one I think I will go with quite soon if no one here is interested.

Quinn
08-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Still have the tank, the lights and the skimmer. At this rate maybe someone will get it for Christmas? :lol:

kris_willard
08-18-2004, 04:40 PM
How much are you loooking to get for t he tank?

Quinn
08-31-2004, 04:06 AM
Ok I swear that I'll let this thread die after this post.

Someone in Calgary was going to take my sump but I can't recall their nick. If that person is still interested, please PM me, I can drop it off tomorrow, otherwise it will be pickup only.

I still have my skimmer, tank, stand and canopy, I am asking $600 for the tank and stand, $400 for the canopy (that includes a dual 400w halide setup) and $150 for my skimmer. If the sump doesn't go, I'd like $100.

This stuff will be sitting in my garage for the next two years I expect, so please keep me in mind if any of you hear of anyone who wants a tank. I would also be open to "payment plans" of sorts if getting all the cash together at once is an issue.

EmilyB
08-31-2004, 05:51 AM
You can likely sell the skimmer on Ebay. :biggrin:

Quinn
08-31-2004, 06:23 AM
Yeah just so much hassle. I have a digital camera I want to put on there as well though, guess I'll get to it...