PDA

View Full Version : Filter Canister Needed

reefcat
10-08-2011, 01:57 PM
So i have been running a 205 fluval canister filter for quite some time now and i just bought a tunze 9002 skimmer and two powerheads so do i really need this filter anymore for my 35g tank?

mattdean
10-08-2011, 03:11 PM
No. You don't really need it, but you could use it to run GFO/GAC if you wanted. That's what I used my canister filter for on my 125. You can just take the spray bar off the return and have it dump straight down into the tank, so the flow would not be so heavy.

You would certainly keep your water parameters in check.

kies1
10-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I use the canister filter to run chemi pure elite and phosphate remover as well. 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. Just be sure to clean it every couple of weeks

babyreef
10-08-2011, 05:30 PM
BLANK

reefcat
10-08-2011, 07:43 PM
No. You don't really need it, but you could use it to run GFO/GAC if you wanted. That's what I used my canister filter for on my 125. You can just take the spray bar off the return and have it dump straight down into the tank, so the flow would not be so heavy.

You would certainly keep your water parameters in check.

Im not quite sure i understand. lol.

Aquattro
10-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Im not quite sure i understand. lol.

Put carbon in it instead of all the other stuff. :)

reefcat
10-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Thats much more simple thanks!!

mattdean
10-09-2011, 02:38 AM
What I was saying is....you can put GFO(phoshphate remover) in a bag, as well as carbon in a separate bag and put that into the canister. You will keep N03 and P04 down. The spray bar on the return creates a lot of flow in a small tank like that, so, you either put the return pipe - without the spray bar, into the sump - if you have one - or into the tank (again, no spay bar) just have it dumping into the tank. The flow won't be as hard, but you get the good exchange of water being treated by the GFO and GAC.

You need to change it out ever 2 or 3 weeks as previously mentioned. You don't need a lot of GFO or GAC, just enough to keep your levels at 0.

Good luck

kies1
10-09-2011, 01:37 PM
That is what i use it for in my 35 gallon, I have left the spray bar on and just have it point a little below the surface for surface agitation of the water. Seems to work o.k. been running like that for over a year on my sumpless 35 gallon