PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Advice

BMahura
10-07-2011, 03:56 AM
So i just got my display set up and bought some chaeto and a couple other types of macro algae for a compartment in my sump that i want to turn into a refugium. I dont know much about refugiums and need a little advice. the area is 12" x 16" x 24". I put an inch of sand in but think i might need more.
If you can help me start out my fuge that would be great
Thanks in advanced

Brett

Coleus
10-07-2011, 04:49 AM
I have a 5 inch in my refugium but i don't think you need it, just live rock and chaeto will be good.

BMahura
10-07-2011, 04:53 AM
I was thinking about going with about 3-4 inches. I couldnt see when i was over before but what type of lights did you have on your fuge

Coleus
10-07-2011, 05:24 AM
just a cheap light from home depo. Btw, you did not buy Chaeto :-) you bought some frags and chaeto was free. I don't want ppl thinking i am selling chaeto because i got it free before

BMahura
10-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Lol right. Somesday down the road I will pass on the kindness and be giving chaeto away for free to with the purchase of frags

jostafew
10-07-2011, 04:10 PM
If you have the space to run deeper sand bed in the fuge (and fine sand, ie. sugar) then by all means add it in there. Of course you've only got so much space for sand, live rock, and chaeto growth area so you'll have to balance the three. DSB will help to reduce nitrates in the DT and provide a breeding ground for critters. If you can, seed the sand bed with live sand from a mature system as it's important to have the population of worms, snails, pods etc. working their way through the sand bed to agitate it and keep it healthy.

As for the light, I'll +1 for the HD clip on 8" reflector lamp for like $10 and a compact flourescent screw in bulb around 6500k which work great for fuge lighting.