PDA

View Full Version : hmmm, why is this shocking

Corbin
10-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Second time this has happened.
I always have cuts on my hands/fingers from hard labour, i did a water change on my tank today didnt feel anything.
Just got home and scooped out some water to put in a bucket, and i feel a sharp buzzing burn in my fingers, i start cursing god cuz i just replaced all my power heads, since the one on my skimmer was leaking power (i think), and figured what the hell why not just change them all, there was no light on the tank at the time..
At first i was like is it just the salt water but it wasnt hurting my wounds, so i put my hand back in the tank, turned off the power, it went away, turned back on, owww lol. started unpluging one by one, after everything, i was like WTF ITS STILL THERE.. paused for a sec and said to myself, it cant be the lights, there not even touching the water!!...
What do you know, my skimmer input was splashing enough up the legs of my light to the cords slowly some how creeping inside and salt creeping power to my tank. well a fresh water soaked sock and a cut up LFS bag problem solved... for now anyways.

gobytron
10-07-2011, 02:17 PM
you should really get a grounding probe one way or the other...
they're cheap, are easy to hide and will make sure this is never an issue in the future.

Corbin
10-08-2011, 12:42 AM
yeah maybe i should.
first time doing a major salt setup, never realized how much of a issue it is, i remember i use to have FW tanks with glass heaters that were smashed open and running and didnt feel a thing - still kept the tank warm before i even noticed.