PDA

View Full Version : another loud drain. plastic gate valve?

damtrees420
10-06-2011, 11:13 PM
So i bought this tank with two 1.5 inch drains drilled on the back about 4 inch from the top so i set up the drain with just sticking a 90 in the bulkhead and another 90 on the outside i knew it was going to be a long shot but it is loud as hell running about 1800 gph through the two drains does anyone know how to better run them keeping in mind there is no over flow the drains are right in the tank with just a 90 and about an inch of piping have seen people put a t on the outside of the tank to the bulkhead will that help brake it trying to siphon ? any help or ideas would be sweet as would love to button it up as this is the last thing keeping up the progress

e46er
10-07-2011, 12:29 AM
With a 90 and an inch of pipe will still leave 2 inches of water to drain to sump in case of a power outage .......
Mount a overflow box and do a herbie style drain - apparently dead silent

mark
10-07-2011, 01:49 AM
had a 33g QT tank and playing around did a Herbie with no overflow. Wouldn't recommend running permanent since overflow chambers are easy enough but could try a Herbie.

On the inside just do the 2 upturned 90°s, with one stub say a couple of inches below where you want your water level, second stub just a little above where you want the level. Gate valve on the line with the shorter stub, got a Herbie.

damtrees420
10-07-2011, 02:07 PM
here is a photo with the bracing it would be hard to make an over flow you would have any access to

toytech
10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
if you put a tee on the outside of the bulkhead , you put a cap on it then drill a small hole in the cap .Its a durso drain , you can experiment with different size holes to get it almost silent .Im plumbing a 30 gal cube right now with the exact same thing .

mark
10-07-2011, 09:54 PM
here is a photo with the bracing it would be hard to make an over flow you would have any access to

Got 3 holes could look into a Beananimal (return over the top). As for access, really why?

badfish!
10-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Could you make it sort of like a herbie, put a gate valve on one drain to control the flow, (which would eliminate the draining/sucking siphoning noise) then make the other drain about level with the top of the water (in case something blocks the gate valve, you still have an emergency drain)? Does that make sense? We have a herbie style with our overflow box, and the only noise we have is the water falling from the box to the level that we keep the water in the box. You probably wouldnt have any noise at all.

syncro
10-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Some info from here might help: http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

A standpipe can only run silently under two conditions. 1) The volume of flow is low enough to allow the water to cascade down the walls of the standpipe, leaving an undisturbed column of air in the middle. When water falls vertically down a pipe, the water will adhere to the pipe's walls until the pipe's cross sectional area is about 1/4 full. At any higher volume the flow starts to become turbulent and traps air. The trapped air creates slurping and gurgling noises. 2) The volume of the flow is high enough to keep the pipe entrance submerged, creating a full siphon.

damtrees420
10-09-2011, 02:33 PM
so i tested the herby and seemed to work just need to buld a small box around one of the drains 8x8x10 but how far over will the water flow to set the water hight ? and were in edmonton can i get a 1 1/2 gate valve in plastic

reefwars
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
use to get mine at marine aquaria they always seemed to have some in stock;)

badfish!
10-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I got a used one from marine aquaria when setting up the herbie, and aqua illusions could order one in. I think all the other places had just ball valves.

mark
10-09-2011, 07:30 PM
been getting my gate valves from the Reef Shoppe in Lloydminister (and delivered since Kelly(?) seems to come through Edm fairly often)