PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Draw???? Help

Jaws
10-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Hey guys. My hydro bill is consistently high every month and I'm trying to narrow down the culprit. I know the fish tank is usually a pretty big contributor but I don't really have a whole lot running on it right now so I was wondering if I listed what's running, maybe a couple experts could chime in and let me know what they think the monthly cost would be:

Four 36" - 39W T5 bulbs (on 8 hours a day)
One Bubble King Supermarin 250 Skimmer (75W)
One Reeflo Tarpon return pump (200W)
Two Tunze 6105's (35W) only running at 60%
Two Tunze 6055's (18W)

That's all that's running.

I live in Victoria BC if that helps with rates. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help out.

Aquattro
10-06-2011, 04:50 PM
A quick guess would be somewhere around 25/mo. You can figure it exactly with the hours used times the rate for power...

lee9
10-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I did a quick calculation for you. With the items you listed you should be using approximately 322 kWh for 31 days of operation. I calculated with you running your 6105s at 100% though.

I used the rates listed on the BC Hydro website (https://www.bchydro.com/youraccount/content/residential_rates.jsp (https://www.bchydro.com/youraccount/content/residential_rates.jsp)) but I am not sure if they are accurate. I live in Calgary.

322 kWh x $0.0667 / kWh = $21.49 / month (if your total household electricity usage is < 1350 kWh / month. If you are over that amount the amount above is charged at $0.0962 / kWh

As Aquattro mention check your exact rates on your bill. It probably something else that is causing it (fridge, freezer, etc).

Hope this helps.

Lampshade
10-06-2011, 05:18 PM
I have an IPhone app for that (Reefcalc). Says $355 a year using $.082 a KW/h.(I added a 100W heater on for 6 hours 6 months of the year) That's not terrible at all.

In my townhouse my son had turned a baseboard heater on max downstairs in the landing, never felt it on, but sure felt the hit with the bill, was over $50 to have that thing on 24/7. Check around for weird stuff like that.

mark
10-07-2011, 01:54 AM
RC's electrical cost calculator (http://reefcentral.com/index.php/tank-electrical)

Jaws
10-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys. That's great.

mike31154
10-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Should you be interested in somewhat more accurate, real time information on power use, there are electronic energy monitors available these days to do so. They have a similar form factor as the larger digital timers with LCD displays. I purchased a Blue Planet energy monitor on sale at CTire over a year ago. Full price for some versions of this device can cost a few bucks, but worth it if you're looking to hunt down vampire loads in your house.

I reckon the smart meters BC Hydro is in the process of rolling out may also provide some of these capabilities, but the device I'm talking about can be plugged into any receptacle, in line with whatever load you're looking to measure. The model I have even allows you to input your Kwh cost and will calculate the $$$'s for you. A month or so ago I finally got around to measuring my entertainment center load which includes a Shaw Digital Cable Box. Was quite surprised to find that even when turned off, this blood sucker was using 30 watts! I don't watch that much TV so the convenience of keeping the cable box running 24/7 so that the menu stays alive seemed like a bit of a waste to me. I have it plugged into a power bar with a bank of switched & a bank of unswitched (always on) receptacles. Decided to turn the whole power bar off and only turn it back on shortly before I wish to watch TV. Everyting still works right away, but I need to wait for the cable box to reload the menu in order to get channel & guide info. Something I can deal with to save a few bucks on the electric bill.

BC is still has some of the cheapest power rates, but I'm in the market for some solar panels & a bank of batteries. I already have a wind generator but haven't set it up yet. Been looking for a good deal on batteries. Problem with home grown power is still the upfront cost for components.