PDA

View Full Version : Tank upgrade

NemoanDory
10-04-2011, 01:32 PM
So just thought I would share my exciting yet lot of work news. I am have my floor of the house reenforced. I have decided to upgrade from my 110 gal to a 230. I am going to go with 72 x 28 x 26 starphire front glass, polished edges, euro brace and external overflow on the end. I haven't ordered it yet but going to do so today. Suggestions and opinions on this are greatly appreciated. I know its an odd measurement but reason for that is cause of the location I am putting the tank that's what fits.

I should be doing this in about 2 weeks i have been toying with this idea for the last couple of weeks and finally decided to go ahead and do it.

In order to do this I have really only one way to do it. So I would love anyone's in put. Here is the only real option I have because of the size of my house.

I am going to buy 3-4 large tubs from sal art those 50 gal size ones. In one I am going to put all the corals and rock that has corals on it into that tubs. I am going to use a different tub and put the skimmer and filter stuff in and have it run in use with the corals in the other tub the remaining rock and fish will go in and I will put my aqua clear 110 filter on it. The remaining water will go into another tub with some rock and a filter. Wow my house will be a mess of fish stuff lol good thing I live alone ha haha. Once that is all done I will move the old tank out and put the new one in place do all the plumbing and put new sand in.

Once the plumbing is all set I will than fill the tank partially with new saltwater and than use the 100+ gals of water I saved and transfer everything over. One of the local fish stores said I shouldn't have any problems doing this as long as for the first bit I really stay on top of my water changes as I might have a small cycle happen. I do water changes once a week so during this time should I be doing 2 a week? If so much same as now 20%?

I don't want my corals to stay in the tub longer than 24 hrs. What are your thoughts on all this. I cannot fill the new tank and keep the old one running that is not an option for me as I do not have the room in my house to do this.

Thanks so much:)

Diana
10-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Sounds like you have everything under control! No stress man :mrgreen: But I have some suggestions:

-Don't combine any fish and corals together in the same tub (some corals produce a slime which can suffocate fish... lesson learned on that one)
-The water in the rock bins is going to get pretty dirty unless your rock is pristine.... so you may not want to reuse it. If you want to save that water I suggest a bin of "waste water" to rinse the rock in first, before it goes into the bins
-Airate all the bins with air pumps, and run the filter and heater with the fish. You could run the skimmer if you'd like, but IMO not totally nessecary. Ideally heat all the bins but if you can't heat the rock its not a huge deal, just keep it as warm as possible (run a space heater in the room?).
-I would suggest stacking the rock on the glass and putting the sand around it but in such a large tank that might be a pain, especially dealing with filling water in time to keep the rock wet.
-I'd try and save as much water as possible but we have done moves with saving no water... everything was fine.
-A regular water change should be fine afterwards (you might see a mini cycle but if your rock is healthy will probably be barely noticeable).

HTH and good luck :)
-Diana

ScubaSteve
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Some suggestions for you in addition to Diana's:

1. Do it once and do it right.

2. Don't cut corners or costs.

3. Don't spend every dollar you have to do this, unless this rule conflicts with rules 1 and 2. Being a poor reefer and being reduced to a diet of tropical fish kinda defeats the purpose of this.

4. Don't do internal overflows... Like seriously, that's so 1998. External overflow boxes it where it's at. I'm glad you're considering it.

5. Go with a Beananimal-style drain system. Trust me, you'll be happy you did.

6. 26" inches high is gonna suck a bit. Go measure your arms, I'll wait... Back?... Ok, see what I mean? 24" would be the maximum I'd do without donning a wetsuit.

NemoanDory
10-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Some suggestions for you in addition to Diana's:

1. Do it once and do it right.

2. Don't cut corners or costs.

3. Don't spend every dollar you have to do this, unless this rule conflicts with rules 1 and 2. Being a poor reefer and being reduced to a diet of tropical fish kinda defeats the purpose of this.

Certainly will do it right, definitely won't make myself poor over it

4. Don't do internal overflows... Like seriously, that's so 1998. External overflow boxes it where it's at. I'm glad you're considering it.

I am definitely doing external overflows no question about that:)

5. Go with a Beananimal-style drain system. Trust me, you'll be happy you did.

what is this and how do you do it?

6. 26" inches high is gonna suck a bit. Go measure your arms, I'll wait... Back?... Ok, see what I mean? 24" would be the maximum I'd do without donning a wetsuit.

Lmfao never thought of that I think your right I guess if the tank is not flush with my kitchen enterance it won't be so bad. Thanks for pointing that out

Thank you to both of you for the tips and opinions as I said all advice is muchly apperciated :)

I will post pictures of my new tank as soon as I start doing it. Here is my tank I have right now :)

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4491aade-fcaa-3736.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4491aade-fd23-fd20.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4491aade-fd59-6644.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4491aade-fd9c-f07f.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4491aade-fe3f-b017.jpg

NemoAnDory

doch
10-05-2011, 06:45 AM
My tank is 26"H, and I don't mind it at all. More than 26" would be too much... for me at least. Maybe your arms are shorter though...?