PDA

View Full Version : Sump, Overflow and Plumbing - Final Stages

philg3
10-03-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm gonna lay everything out fast and furious so I can get some feedback, maybe have somebody check my math if they can.

Display -
58 gallon Oceanic (36"x18"x22")
- Custom 18" Notch Cut in the back panel, overflows into external box.

Right now the notch has already been cut (1.5" deep), but i have not cut the return bulkhead holes or built the overflow box. Here is a Sketchup of the tank with overflow and returns. (Made this a while ago, the overflow is not as long as pictured, more of a visual aid at this point.)

When discussing my plans with a friend he showed me why most choose coast to coast overflows, because with the returns on either side, a vortex will form between the outer wall and the return, and the proteins on the vortex's surface will never make it to the overflow and the to the protein skimmer. Fair Enough.

But what if i used Eductors/Flow accelerators on both the returns? Would the eductor action pull water from around the nozzle including the vortex, and then push it back to the overflow? I have been planning for 3/4" return pipes being pushed by a Poseidon PS3.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Pacific_Coast_Flow_Accelerator_Flexible_Ball_Socke t_Tubing_Plumbing_Parts-Pacific_Coast_Imports-FT0033-FIFTFB-vi.html

Paint time!

I was also wondering much lower the return holes should be compared to the notch?

He also showed me how my old sump did not have the capacity to accomodate the new tank and overflow. He pointed out that my tank would drain to the bottom of the return holes, or to be safe, 2 inches. That would mean that all the water from the top 2 inches (at most) would drain out of the aquarium along with the overflow box and the plumbing, into the sump.

So... New Sump design.

29 Gallon Sump (30"X12"X18")

Max Water Volume = 28 Gallons
Running Water Volume = 15.75 Gallons
Overflow Capacity = 12.25

Now the top two inches {(36X18X2)/231}= 5.61Gallons
Plus the Overflow Box {(18X2X2)/231}= .31Gallons
Plus the Plumbing (??????) = 3 gallons (which seems to be a lot, but lets err on the side of caution)

I feel like these numbers are being generous, since i will be adding anti siphon holes to the returns which should help with the backflow

With the new sump, if my math is correct, i should be able to handle a power failure without my floor getting wet.

Final question is whether you think 1" drain pipes with the beananimal overflow is sufficient for this system or whether i would be better off with 1.5" Drains.

Thoughts, Comments, Notes, Warnings, all appreciated as always

sphelps
10-03-2011, 02:54 PM
You're not going to notice any build up of proteins from vortex's with the way it's set up, its not like the corners are stagnant, they will still get turnover and make it through the system. So I wouldn't bother with Educators.

Return holes should be as high as possible but typically to be safe the edge of the hole should be a mix 1.5-2" from the top, so plan accordingly for back flow, your math looks fine but also consider the possibility of needing to completely drain the overflow if you haven't already.

1" drains are fine considering tank size and overflow design.