PDA

View Full Version : Storing Live Rock

hummer
10-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi, I'm planning on shutting down my tank. Is there a proper way to store my live rock? I plan on starting it up later in the future (maybe few years). Should i clean the rock or just throw them in a bucket?
Thanks

Aquattro
10-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Unless these are pieces you really like, I'd consider selling it and buying new stuff in a few years. Unless you've got lots of storage space. I would guess you'd really have to cycle/cook it to re-use it again at that time though

megs_clark
10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I let mine dry out and stored it in a rubbermaid in the attic. When I recently restarted my tank it was nice to have dry rock to aquascape with, pest free. Had to wait a bit longer to cycle, but bonus I didnt have a big algae outbreak for starting out. If your storing it for a long period of time it might be worth doing.

Myka
10-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I would sell it and buy again later. If you dry it out you're not any further ahead as the rock isn't live anymore. It takes a long time to leech all the dead stuff out of the rocks when you get them wet again, and takes even longer to re-establish the anaerobic bacteria needed for denitrification (different than the aerobic bacteria needed for nitrification that colonize quickly). Besides, the rock is worth something while it is still live...probably $4/lb. Once you dry it out its value is only about $1.50/lb which is easily replaceable, so I say sell it while it still has some value.

hummer
10-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Myka: What kind of time frame are we looking at when you say "long time"?

Myka
10-03-2011, 12:36 AM
For leeching? Probably 8-12 weeks.

megs_clark
10-03-2011, 03:33 AM
I think it might depend on your rock when you dry it. Mine didnt seem to leach anything. I through my "dead rock" in the tank, Put a few pieces of liverock from my other tank into my sump, It wasnt much just a couple pounds and waited it out a few weeks. I liked that after the expences of getting a new tank set up It was a bonus not having to part with a big chunk of money in rock also. If your tank is clean right now I wouldnt worry about your rock leaching. But like previously said, you can totaly get $4 a pound live, Dead to someone else its not worth much. For personal use, I prefer it dead. It seems like everytime I buy rock off someone it comes with some hidden pest.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-03-2011, 07:08 AM
If you're looking at years before restarting, I would also recommend selling off your live rock and buying again when you restart. Otherwise you waste so much electricity keeping a pump and heater on for all those years without knowing if you'll actually use them again. Lots of cured LR for sale usually on canreef from others shutting down so you can restock from other reefers' tanks later.

StirCrazy
10-03-2011, 02:02 PM
if you like the rock.. cleen it dry it and save it. if you don't like it sell it and buy what you want.

I will not start up a tank with all live rock again. it is my way of making sure I won't get any undesriable hitch hikers and helps to recycle rock instead of destroying another reef for it.

what I will do is build my reef from dead rock and then put in one carefully chosin sead rock. lots of coraline but nothing else.

for me waiting for the rock to cycle befor I put fish in is not a big deal.

Steve

hummer
10-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Excellent points. Thanks for all the replies. I do have a few pieces that I really like. So I might just hang on to those pieces.

Speaking of hitchhikers, I remember my rocks came with a few crabs. Tiny like 1/2 inch. They weren't hairy. But yesterday as I was pulling rock out I found one of them and it grew to at least 2". Too bad it was dead. But I haven't seen them grow that big before.

Myka
10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Why is everyone so afraid of hitchhikers? I've had my fair share of hitchhikers, and they were definitely a pain in the rear. By no means were those hitchhikers the worst thing that ever happened to my tanks, nor the biggest pain in the rear either! :lol:

StirCrazy
10-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Why is everyone so afraid of hitchhikers? I've had my fair share of hitchhikers, and they were definitely a pain in the rear. By no means were those hitchhikers the worst thing that ever happened to my tanks, nor the biggest pain in the rear either! :lol:

I am talking about algae and seaweed type hitchickers for types I don't want in my tank. bugs, mantis, ect are fine, but a good culerpa (sp) or halmidia break out is not an easy thing to get rid of. it took me 4 months of pulling picking ect to rid my tank of an infestation of grape culrupa (sp) that almost smothered my tank. somthing I would never want to go through again. short of that I would not use used or fresh liver rock with out at the very least cooking it for about 4 to 6 months to make sure the kind of stuff I don't want is gone. if you have the time and the facilities for this cooking is about the best method, then you can just sead it with scrapings of coraline algae from some one elses tank.

Steve

Aquattro
10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I personally wouldn't use anything but fresh rock. I've got 1 or 2 really nice pieces in my frag tank that I'm going to dry out and store, but the rest is getting sold. If/when I go to a bigger tank, I'll order fresh uncured rock and use that with existing rock. For me, the hitchhikers are the best part of rock :)

megs_clark
10-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Its the aptaisia, majano, flatworms and such that I hate getting. Deffinitly not the end of the world but still a pain in the butt.

reefwars
10-04-2011, 03:51 AM
I personally wouldn't use anything but fresh rock. I've got 1 or 2 really nice pieces in my frag tank that I'm going to dry out and store, but the rest is getting sold. If/when I go to a bigger tank, I'll order fresh uncured rock and use that with existing rock. For me, the hitchhikers are the best part of rock :)

same here i like all the hitch hikers after all its a part of the ocean and what were trying to recreate. when buying liverock i just scope out the pieces i want for anything i dont want.ive gotten some cool surprises from uncured liverock that had just came in alot more than i have pests that i couldnt get rid of ;)

StirCrazy
10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
same here i like all the hitch hikers after all its a part of the ocean and what were trying to recreate. when buying liverock i just scope out the pieces i want for anything i dont want.ive gotten some cool surprises from uncured liverock that had just came in alot more than i have pests that i couldnt get rid of ;)

ya we have all said this for the last what 12 years now... but if you go back, all you see is posts on "how do I get rid of this", "it must have come in on my rock... now what do I do"

I have gotten a few nice surprises.. 4 mantis shrimp, mushroom, polyps and a couple SPS..

I think for me using dry rock is because I have a idea for the next tank and I only want spicific things in it so if I don't add it I don't want it there..

Steve

Myka
10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I think dry rock is a bigger pain in the [butt] than anything you guys have listed here. First and foremost, I want the rock to be a good filter system from day one.

I have waged war on pretty much every type of algae in existence; some memorable ones were Valonia, Caulerpa, Halimeda, and Lobophora. My nano is having a Caulerpa and Halimeda issue right now even.

Aquattro
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
The only thing I've had to battle in 10 yrs was a giant snail/clam eating worm. In the end, after all the fun, I just pulled that one rock out. Worm gone. I've always left any crab or shrimp in the tank. I got isopods once, too me 20 minutes to get rid of them. Not a big deal.

StirCrazy
10-04-2011, 07:54 PM
I think dry rock is a bigger pain in the [butt] than anything you guys have listed here. First and foremost, I want the rock to be a good filter system from day one.

don't know how it could be a pain in the but. only takes a few days for backeria to establish and then not long after that to adjust to your nutrent levels. I can see if you dried you rock with a lot of organic matter on it then you will have a tone of organic die off, but if you are setting up a tank anyways you sould be prepared to take your time. in reality unless you are setting up an instant tank with enough live rock that you will not ever see a cycle then the time fram between live rock and dry rock will be virtual identical. it is only the first could days of the bacteria population that will be different because the rapid growth of bacteria will explode after that.

if you are waiting 6 weeks for a cycle, or more then the only difference will be astethics... in other words lack of coraline. in the right enviorment this will be resolved quickly anyways especialy if there is no algae competing for nutrents.

I set up my 94gal with 230lbs of cycled rock and I set up my 25 with all dead rock... never had algae problems in the 25, or unwanted things like mushrooms and polyps (did I mention I will never have muchrooms in a tank again :twised:)

with in 6 months you would never be able to tell the difference in terms of coraline and color..

but I do respect that some people want fresh rock and like the surprises that come with it.. when I set up the first tank I used to look for new stuff every day.. but the 8 years of fighting unwanted stuff has tainted my views for my own tanks. in fact the majority of the rock I use in my tank setup I am in the midst of planning is going to be home made but I am mixing in chunks of dry rock with it in an atempt to make a natural looking surround and bottom for the tank. it is an idea right now and I may throw it in the garbage after I make it if it turns out like crap, but well see.

Steve

Aquattro
10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
with in 6 months you would never be able to tell the difference in terms of coraline and color..

6 months?? Jeez, I'm thinking of upgrading by the time 6 months hits :) I just set up my 50g in the baby's room over the weekend. Added rock, 6 hours later the fish and SPS went in. No way I'd ever wait 6 months!

StirCrazy
10-04-2011, 10:11 PM
6 months?? Jeez, I'm thinking of upgrading by the time 6 months hits :) I just set up my 50g in the baby's room over the weekend. Added rock, 6 hours later the fish and SPS went in. No way I'd ever wait 6 months!

you better slow down.. more tanks = less mony for globetrotting :mrgreen:

Besides you still have to come up here for a visit.

Steve

Aquattro
10-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Steve
meh. already have my ticket booked for Dec. And Kamloops isn't on the list. I just checked. Sorry..

Aquattro
10-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Steve

Oh, and you've got to be the worst thread jacker on the board, and you ALWAYS suck me into it....sigh...:)

StirCrazy
10-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Oh, and you've got to be the worst thread jacker on the board, and you ALWAYS suck me into it....sigh...:)

I am tinking its the other way around :lol:

Aquattro
10-05-2011, 03:03 AM
I am tinking its the other way around :lol:

Maybe you tink too much :)

StirCrazy
10-05-2011, 03:06 AM
Maybe you tink too much :)

probably. think my keyboard needs a cleening also:neutral: