PDA

View Full Version : Snorkeling with some BIG tangs

MarkoD
10-02-2011, 05:03 PM
heres a video i made yesterday while snorkeling in hanauma bay. on oahu hawaii

Snorkeling Hanauma Bay - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqm2OfepB0M)

the naso tangs here are about 16-18 inches long

Lance
10-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Wonderful! Thanks for that. I love to watch Tangs in the open ocean. They seem to be having such a good time. Makes me feel guilty sometimes. :sad:

viperfish
10-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Awesome video! I couldn't resist watching your 180 video... again!

sgreen
10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Thank you for the awesome video!!!

MarkoD
10-02-2011, 07:01 PM
thanks guys.

after seeing how big these naso tangs get in the wild, i cant imagine a tank large enough to actually house one comfortably. they should require at least 1000 gallons fully grown

HaZRaTTy
10-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Sooo Awesome.. I'm Jealous.:lol:

milanz
10-02-2011, 09:14 PM
We were just in Maui this spring and were doing some snorkelling around the Fish Bowl area and saw some huge Yellow Tangs. No lie, these guys where at least 12+" long and were probably about 1.5"-2" thick. I've never seen them that large, it was absolutely amazing.

Are you going to Maui at all? Visit the "Fish Bowl" if you are. It might be closed to the public still, but you can still see some pretty awesome fish and coral in the general area. Also, the dolphins like to hang out there in the evenings.

milanz
10-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Oh and I forgot, if you're in Maui, the Molokini Crater is a must see. It will blow you away the colours of the coral there are amazing. Google, "Molokini Crater"

Wayne
10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
WOW

jostafew
10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Nice vid, wish I was at Hanauma bay again! (was there September 2010)

RedCoralEdmonton
10-02-2011, 10:51 PM
haha that first tang was like.... "WTF....quit following me....GTFO!!!!!"

great vid Marko, guess thats why I havent seen you round the shop in a couple days....

Steve

MarkoD
10-02-2011, 11:45 PM
haha that first tang was like.... "WTF....quit following me....GTFO!!!!!"

great vid Marko, guess thats why I havent seen you round the shop in a couple days....

Steve

lol i've been gone almost 2 weeks.... and still 2 weeks left :)

Delphinus
10-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Great video! Planning on doing any diving? If you're not certified, find a dive shop and ask if they have any "Discover SCUBA" programs you can get in on. You take a brief class to show you the basics then they take you down to a max of 30' with no more than 4 per instructor. It's a whole other world down there. When you snorkel, the fish swim away from you if you try to get a closer look because you came from the surface. When you're down there and STAY down there, they get used to you.

4 weeks in Hawaii? That's some epic trip there! I hope you get to see some of the other islands too. It's neat .. in a way, they are all "Hawaii" but they each have their own character as well.

babyreef
10-03-2011, 04:01 AM
BLANK

MarkoD
10-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Great video! Planning on doing any diving? If you're not certified, find a dive shop and ask if they have any "Discover SCUBA" programs you can get in on. You take a brief class to show you the basics then they take you down to a max of 30' with no more than 4 per instructor. It's a whole other world down there. When you snorkel, the fish swim away from you if you try to get a closer look because you came from the surface. When you're down there and STAY down there, they get used to you.

4 weeks in Hawaii? That's some epic trip there! I hope you get to see some of the other islands too. It's neat .. in a way, they are all "Hawaii" but they each have their own character as well.

i come here multiple times a year. my parents own a condo here so its nice and cheap. last spring i took a cruise from here back to vancouver and visited some of the other islands.

oahu is my favorite followed by maui.... big island is cool cuz theres an active volcano, but other than that, kinda boring.

..... in the bay humans are not allowed to feed the fish. but they do seem to be used to the humans

Delphinus
10-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Sounds rough :lol:

I haven't been to Oahu except on transfers. Been to Big Island, Kauai and Maui (several times). It's all Hawaii and yet each island has its own character still. Kauai pretty laid back. Maui a nice blend of everything, and Big Island I thought was kinda neat because it had it all (snowboarding and surfing on the same day? Score). When we went though, the volcano stopped. In continuous flow since 1983 but stopped the week (the WEEK, not a word of exagerration) before we got there. They had all these interpretive signs describing what a keen geological event was happening under ground .. and while interesting, we couldn't help but feel "yeah, but what this means is .. there's no glowing lava to see. Boo!". :lol: I've heard it's since started up again. I have to go back I guess.

Kona coast has some really nice diving for coral formations. Lots of large mature SPS reef formations (although Molokini is pretty close - pretty awesome stuff).

fishoholic
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
:thumb: great video