PDA

View Full Version : Dividing Bubble Tip question

KPG007
09-29-2011, 03:24 AM
I have a rose bubble tip anenome that got as big as a dinner plate. It was in my 150g tank that was having huge issues, mainly with hair algae. I finally got around to pulling all the rock out, scraping it all off, doing about a 80% water change and changing out all the carbon and GFO. It's been about a month and I've done additional 20% water changes every couple weeks. Tank is looking much better and to top it off, the bubble tip finally split about a week ago! Now the question. One of the two halves went down on to the gravel tank bottom, so I scooped him out and tossed him into my sump to sell. The sump has a low flow and is filled with macro algae. It was in a quiet corner for all of 2 days when today I noticed it split again (incidentally, the day after another water change)! All the anenomies look fine and healthy, all are all in the same water. Is it a bad sign when anenomies split that quickly? As I said, it was quiet a large one before it started spliting, and the water conditions are much improved.

Money pit
09-29-2011, 11:31 AM
For some BTAs it doesn't take much to get them to split. In this case its a good sign. Its reacting to the better environment brought on by the water change, Ive read a few times on peoples blogs how they would use this method to get their BTAs to split. They would keep the tank dirty for a month or so, then do a massive W/C and the next day they would have a bunch of new nems.

KPG007
09-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Great! That's what I was hoping. After posting this thread I was talking with my GF and she said that before half the nem fell to the talk bottom that she saw 3 feet on the main nem rock. So quite possible that instead of spliting in half it was splitting into 3, but it just split into two a few days quicker.