PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Peroxide. H2O2

Proteus
09-29-2011, 01:56 AM
I was doing a little research on vodka dosing when I stubbled on a article about peroxide and it's benefits in coral dips, ridding of hair algae and removal of aptasia. not to mention oxidizing chlorines and sulfides

I have used hydrogen peroxide (45%) in horticulture for quite some time. For chlorine removal and prevention of downing roots among others.

I was wondering if anyone had/has used the 3% in dips, dosing, or pest removal. I do understand it can and will have affects on bacterial populations.

But would like some real insight to this application and possibly if it would help solve the O2 depletion of vodka dosing. After all it is just water with a unstable oxygen molecule.

Thanks for your input

daniella3d
09-29-2011, 02:21 AM
I did add some to my main tank, about 10ml for 75 gallons, and none of my coral were affected except it was an instant closure of most of my zoanthids and paly. I have dip zoanthids in it for a few minutes without bad effect though, so this reaction was only temporary.

As for dosing in the tank, I did not see much effect on algae and the required quantity for killing algae is probably a bit too much for the main tank with coral.

I did also use it to cure a pocillopora from RTN or brown jelly and it worked well. The coral looked bad for a few days but the RTN stopped and the coral has healed well.

That's the only think I ever tried to cure RTN or brown jelly that ever worked. I have tried Furan2, iodine etc...nothing worked before.

I was doing a little research on vodka dosing when I stubbled on a article about peroxide and it's benefits in coral dips, ridding of hair algae and removal of aptasia. not to mention oxidizing chlorines and sulfides

I have used hydrogen peroxide (45%) in horticulture for quite some time. For chlorine removal and prevention of downing roots among others.

I was wondering if anyone had/has used the 3% in dips, dosing, or pest removal. I do understand it can and will have affects on bacterial populations.

But would like some real insight to this application and possibly if it would help solve the O2 depletion of vodka dosing. After all it is just water with a unstable oxygen molecule.

Thanks for your input

Dez
09-29-2011, 03:28 AM
Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used for algae control in ponds. It doesn't harm the fish or plants. I don't know what effect it has in a reef though.

shootingstar
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I have used it many times as a dip but have never been brave enough to put it directly in the tank.

Proteus
09-29-2011, 02:18 PM
I added 5 drops of 45% to 5 gallons water agitated for two hours and added to system. As of this morning all was good.

Proteus
09-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used for algae control in ponds. It doesn't harm the fish or plants. I don't know what effect it has in a reef though.

I came up on a farm in the south and we use to drop bales in the dugouts for that exact reason. As they decompose it releases peroxide. Helped control pond scum and winterkill

daniella3d
09-30-2011, 02:15 AM
If you aerate for 2 hours, doesn't that breakdown the peroxyde? Is it still even active when you put it in the tank?

I mean, 5 drops to 5 gallons is not much and being aerated for that long?

I added 5 drops of 45% to 5 gallons water agitated for two hours and added to system. As of this morning all was good.

Proteus
09-30-2011, 02:34 AM
I see what you mean. 2 hours is Alot of time and the reason form
Five drops in five gallons is because it 45% not 3% the usual
Drugstore peroxide. I know it's still not Alot but didn't want to over do it