PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade a tank?

NemoanDory
09-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I am wondering how people that have upgraded their systems have done the switch over. Right now I have a 100 gal and want to upgrade to a 180-200 gal. Now my problem is where my tank is now I have to put my new one there. How would I go about doing this? And would any of you wonderful experienced reefers want to help me do this? I would pay for someone to help me out lol.

Thank you so much:)

lastlight
09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
If you've got the necessary permissions to *do* the upgrade you've done the heavy lifting =)

I tipped my 34g to slip furniture sliders under the 4 legs and slide it into a different room so I could build my current tank. You're unfortunately going to have to transfer your stuff to rubbermaids and then back to the tank in a temp location I think. I'd move everything except the sand... that may be a mess if you disturb it so I'd suggest not moving the sand too much while you do this.

The Codfather
09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
If you've got the necessary permissions to *do* the upgrade you've done the heavy lifting =)

I tipped my 34g to slip furniture sliders under the 4 legs and slide it into a different room so I could build my current tank. You're unfortunately going to have to transfer your stuff to rubbermaids and then back to the tank in a temp location I think. I'd move everything except the sand... that may be a mess if you disturb it so I'd suggest not moving the sand too much while you do this.

+1, re-use of the sand usually leads to problems.

sphelps
09-28-2011, 05:01 PM
My procedure would be along these lines:

Temporarily remove the water from the 100gallon
Carefully lift and move the 100 gallon far enough out of the way for the new tank
Replace the water in the 100 gallon and keep system running in new location
Begin setup of new tank, avoid any uncured rock, add new sand, add new water
Let the new tank settle for about 24 hours
Plumb new tank into 100 gallon viva common sump, run for a few days.
Transfer over livestock
Disconnect 100 gallon
dismantle 100 gallon and apologize to your other.

The last step is key!

NemoanDory
09-28-2011, 11:23 PM
thank you to all who have replied. Unfortuntately I do not have room to run my 100 gal and ANOTHER 100 and some gal. FORTUNTATELY I don't have a significate other lol so no appologizing necessary lol.

Next question is though how much wait can my floor hold? who would I need to contact about that to see what I can upgrade too. I don't want my floor to colapes lol. Right now this is what I have

110 gal tank 6ft x 20 x 18
metel stand
40 gal sump with fuge
20gal saltwater mixing tank
30gal auto top off tank.

approx. 130lbs of live rock
a thin layer of sand about an inch think.

Not sure how much more weight my floor can hold.

ScubaSteve
09-29-2011, 12:01 AM
My procedure would be along these lines:

Temporarily remove the water from the 100gallon
Carefully lift and move the 100 gallon far enough out of the way for the new tank
Replace the water in the 100 gallon and keep system running in new location
Begin setup of new tank, avoid any uncured rock, add new sand, add new water
Let the new tank settle for about 24 hours
Plumb new tank into 100 gallon viva common sump, run for a few days.
Transfer over livestock
Disconnect 100 gallon
dismantle 100 gallon and apologize to your other.

The last step is key!

This is pretty much your only option unless you want to by a whole bunch of heaters for all the rubbermaids you are going to need. I am actually doing this myself tonight or tomorrow, though with a 50 gallon. I bet if you got 3 friends to come over you could all move the 100G.

yellowworld
09-29-2011, 03:28 AM
I have to agree with steve and sphelps they are both on the right track, I would tank our maybe a 3rd to half the water and quickly slide it out of the way and then put the water back (your going to need a few ppl to help out there and at least 5 rummer maids for the water) the start your set up with the new tank and then follow sphelps directions after that

Good luck!