PDA

View Full Version : What are some cool little inverts?

Beanz
09-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Hey all, so i have finally decided that I'm gonna have my 15 gallon tank be an invert tank. The only thing is that its a pretty small tank and I haven't really dealt with any other inverts other than the shrimp i have and hermits. So I am looking for some suggestions for some cool inverts that are compatible and will be ok in this size of tank. I have a cleaner shrimp and some snails in there right now but if the cleaner will be an issue with other inverts I would move him. O and the last thing is I would be looking for inverts that wouldn't disturb/irritate corals cause its gonna mixed reef.

doch
09-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Sexy shrimp, and Pom Pom Crabs!! Both are awesome.

jtbadco
09-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Those are great selections!!! I would add a linkia starfish

Beanz
09-28-2011, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestions doch. And i think sexy shrimp r really neat, would they b alright with the cleaner shrimp or would he have to be moved before the sexy shrimp were added. Also I was on live aquaria cause its handy to look at different livestock on and it said that the pom pom crabs could injure corals with their little nems. Would this be a concern for me considering the size of the display tank?

jtbadco
09-28-2011, 03:24 AM
I have Sexy shrimp with Cleaners,...never been an issue.

The nems the Pom Pom crabs have are very small and they use them for gathering food. Very small risk to other corals.

doch
09-28-2011, 03:25 AM
I had Pom Poms and Sexy shrimp... both with cleaners. No problems with the shrimp or the corals.

Beanz
09-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Ok sweeeeeeeeet. I think i may go with those guys, how many of each would you recommend for my set up? And I don't think I would be able to keep a linckia alive because of the volume of the system. I'm sure the parameters fluctuate enough to make one of those guys unhappy.

viperfish
09-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Pistol Shrimp and Watchman Goby pair. I have a pair in my tank, they don't bother anyone and the Pistol spends the day fixing up the cave. They are quite entertaining to watch.

doch
09-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Pistol Shrimp and Watchman Goby pair. I have a pair in my tank, they don't bother anyone and the Pistol spends the day fixing up the cave. They are quite entertaining to watch.

+1!! I love these guys. Get a pistol, goby, 1 pom ppom and 5 sexy's. Make sure that the Sexy's have a hammer or something like that to live in. I loved my group of them, but they slowly got picked off by my risky fish choices. And a barnacle blenny!!! So cute!

philg3
09-28-2011, 05:19 AM
+1 for the pistol goby pairs, symbiotics are really cool, sounds perfect for your size tank.

I also had an Emerald Crab when i first set up my 20 gallon, he ate all the hair algae in my tank by his lonely, and then proceeded to quadruple in size. That tank was his. He would stand on the top of his rock and wave his arms around like a boss. Caught him one morning with only my little black Clownfishes fin left. He never managed to kill any corals or inverts though. Sent him to a 2.5 gallon beta tank jail with some rock rubble, but he didnt last long in my roommates room. I still miss Kramer the murder crab though, he had tons of personality.

But how about a couple of Harlequin shrimp? really cool looking and they eat starfish almost exclusively.

http://piratefx.hubpages.com/hub/Harlequin-Shrimp

If your going for zoanthids or mushrooms beware the sexy shrimp, i have a couple in my tank and they have pretty much destroyed my only zoa frag.

shrimpchips
09-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Those are great selections!!! I would add a linkia starfish

-1 million on the linkia. You'll never have enough food to support one in a 15g tank, IF you can get it to survive initially.

If you're really looking for a small starfish, try a small fromia star, but it will probably invitably starve to death.

Porcelain crabs are cool beans. Watch them wave them little fans all day!

If you can find some small conches (I have 1 fighting conch that's just under 1"), they're neat looking snails to watch too. Funny little eye stalks and proboscus mouth always kissing everything.

If you're not dead set on the cleaner shrimp (ie, can get rid of him), you can get a peppermint shrimp - they're neat since they look like they're alwyas dancing from side to side.

ScubaSteve
09-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Go for an orange-lip or silver conch. They freaking awesome and have a ton of personality.

parkinsn
09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Red Cave Shrimp, saw these little guys on the JL new and noteworthy section. I have never seen one in person but they look cool, do well in groups apparently. $20/ea

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/noteworthy.php

+1 on pom pom crabs they are pretty cool.

Lampshade
09-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Kramer the murder crab
lol

Beanz
10-03-2011, 11:42 PM
O frig, sorry i didn't respond. I didn't get an email notification. I've got some questions now that i have read some of these suggestions.

1. What does the care for a harlequin require? I am going to make my 45 gallon tank a fuge/ frag tank. So just wondering if i would be able to raise starfish in the fuge section of the tank.

2.Won't conchs get to large for this size of tank?

I think I am gonna get a couple pom poms cause I think they r some cool dudes!

ScubaSteve
10-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Hehehehe... Harlequin's are some mean starfish hunters. They even cooperate in pairs to take down big starfish. So, umm... if you're planning on raising starfish in your fuge you'll be able to keep harlequins cuz they'll have lots to eat.

What kind of starfish where you planning to raise? Asterina?

Only some conchs get huge. Stick to the silver, orange-lipped or fighting conchs. They stay small.