PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner shrimp CLEANING or ATTACKING a Stomatella Snail -- YOU DECIDE

babyreef
09-28-2011, 01:28 AM
BLANK

toytech
09-28-2011, 02:08 AM
That is one mean cleaner shrimp, must have been a pit bull in a previous life . I think more likely that shrimp is hungry and well if its smaller than you its probably food.

wingedfish
09-28-2011, 02:14 AM
my cleaner pries them off the rocks and eats them constantly, thought it was normal biology.

Delphinus
09-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Unfortunately, shrimp will devour Stomatella. Cleaner shrimp, peppermints .. it sucks to be a Stomatella when things with claws live in the tank.

AquaticFinatic
09-28-2011, 02:26 AM
That's a hungry shrimpf! Cleaners have been known and do eat snails etc. He's definitely trying to eat it.

naesco
09-28-2011, 04:44 AM
Caught this event in my tank today. It looked like an attack by my Cleaner Shrimp on a Stomatella Snail. I have heard Peppermint Shrimp will eat them but never heard of Cleaner Shrimp eating them. So being a Cleaner Shrimp, was he attempting an unsolicited cleaning of this small Snail? YOU DECIDE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJYMWIEi2Yo

What do you feed your cleaner shrimp?

gobytron
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
What do you feed your cleaner shrimp?

Tangs with stupid hats...

babyreef
09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
BLANK

marie
09-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately, shrimp will devour Stomatella. Cleaner shrimp, peppermints .. it sucks to be a Stomatella when things with claws live in the tank.

It sucks to be a stomatella period.....everything with a mouth eats them. I had a blennie that used to swim around my tank wearing the shell as a hat :lol:

Aquattro
09-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Tangs with stupid hats...

Gotta love stupid jabs, eh?

Seriously, what do you feed the shrimp? If they don't get enough food, they'll go hunting for things you'd prefer they didn't eat. I target feed mine with mysis, they don't eat their neighbours :)

babyreef
09-28-2011, 05:22 PM
BLANK

Aquattro
09-28-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't believe they are under fed it that's where your going. I maintain a balanced ecosystem and believe I feed appropriately. The shrimp in question is healthy and growing/moulting.

Ya, that's where I was going. Mine wouldn't eat if they relied on fish to miss anything :) I have to feed them or they'd be flipping snails.

naesco
09-28-2011, 08:32 PM
I throw some pellets in the tank, they go directly to the bottom, chromis wont touch them on the way down. I watch the shrimp gobble them up. They also get a little bit of everything else that goes in the tank. I don't believe they are under fed it that's where your going. I maintain a balanced ecosystem and believe I feed appropriately. The shrimp in question is healthy and growing/moulting.

Try throwing in shrimp pellets at night.

gobytron
09-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Gotta love stupid jabs, eh?

Seriously, what do you feed the shrimp? If they don't get enough food, they'll go hunting for things you'd prefer they didn't eat. I target feed mine with mysis, they don't eat their neighbours :)

Not as much as you gotta love the tang police...
especially when they advertise.