PDA

View Full Version : I need a game plan for a tank swap

ScubaSteve
09-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I've just finished building my new tank and am wanting to swap it with the current tank on the stand.

How the heck can I do this easily? (or at least with minimal issues)

The current tank is only a 40 gallon cube, so I've been debating draining the tank quickly (leaving the rock and coral in there) and lifting it off the stand and onto the floor, then filling with water again. I don't have any fish right now but it's packed to the nuts with coral. I don't want to rip the rockwork and corals down until the new tank is ready if possible.

Any thoughts on this?

Aquattro
09-27-2011, 08:36 PM
That's what I would do. Just make sure the old tank is level where you put it.

ScubaSteve
09-27-2011, 08:49 PM
That's what I would do. Just make sure the old tank is level where you put it.

It'll be going onto the carpet, so that'll soak up some of the unevenness. I'm more worried about a catastrophic blow out through the bottom glass for some reason.

sphelps
09-27-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't know what the rock work looks like but without water everything will become less stable, so it could be a risky move.

Personally I would just setup some kind of tub to house the corals during the switch. Given that you could easily switch everything over in a day I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Plus you're moving the corals over anyway right?

Aquattro
09-27-2011, 09:03 PM
I moved my 75g twice with everything in it but the water. and I mean moved houses, not location :) I wouldn't worry about the bottom. Keep it level and you should be fine.

Gripenfelter
09-27-2011, 09:04 PM
It'll be going onto the carpet, so that'll soak up some of the unevenness. I'm more worried about a catastrophic blow out through the bottom glass for some reason.

That would be my fear. Get 2-3 people so you can each grab a side of the bottom piece.

ScubaSteve
09-27-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know what the rock work looks like but without water everything will become less stable, so it could be a risky move.

Personally I would just setup some kind of tub to house the corals during the switch. Given that you could easily switch everything over in a day I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Plus you're moving the corals over anyway right?

I won't be moving it all over right away unless I plan for a very long day. I've got to get the old tank off, flip the stand around (it's small) to drill an extra hole so I can fit all three drain lines (right now it's just plumbed for one), plumb it up, fill it with water, tune the valve on the siphon drain and the water levels in the new sump and then get it up to the right temperature and salinity. THEN start moving stuff over... which is never a short task.

I figure that I'll need a day or two to do all of that before I can move anything over.