PDA

View Full Version : 16 to 20 mm glass price

KevinK
09-27-2011, 12:27 AM
douse any one have some indication of glass prices in the 16 to 20 mm ?

also where would be the best place to get it.

thinking of building a large plywood tank (400 to max 600 gal), and to be safe, I dont want to get into 12 mm

pannels need to be max 5.5 feet, x 36, but the minimum would be 4.5 x 30 inches

I would need 2 pannels

sphelps
09-27-2011, 02:20 AM
19mm can be pricey but you can sometimes get some decent deals from glass shops on pre-cut peaces that didn't get used for whatever reason or used architectural glass, then just build the tank around that.

Or design based on 15mm which is probably all you need depending on dimensions.

KevinK
09-27-2011, 04:34 PM
19mm can be pricey but you can sometimes get some decent deals from glass shops on pre-cut peaces that didn't get used for whatever reason or used architectural glass, then just build the tank around that.

Or design based on 15mm which is probably all you need depending on dimensions.

plan is a 2 x 5.5 (minimum 5 feet) feet pannels that are 28 to 30 tall

the tank than would be 6 feet (minimum 5.5 feet) square and 32 to 35 inches tall (inclouding the bracing)

the 2 glass pannels are than in the 2conecting sides (not acros from eachother) and have this 90 degree corner of glass build in the wall, with the other 90 degree corner in a filter room behind it.

this way I can make a nice island in the middle, and have 2x the 6 / 5.5 feet of back wall to create a canyon, with the far corner with no rock, to create depth.

overall this is the planning, so if I can make the tank 6x6, great, but dont want to go smaller than 5.5, where the glass is 6 inches smaller than the side pannel itselve

sphelps
09-27-2011, 05:01 PM
15mm is all you need, just brace your plywood sections properly and it'll be more than strong enough. Even a standard 230 gallon is 72x30" and only uses 12mm, however they do bulge a little so 15mm is likely perfect. I wouldn't use 19mm unless you're really going light on bracing.

You'll have to call around and see what they charge over there, glass prices vary depending on location.