PDA

View Full Version : Water quality help.

AquaticFinatic
09-26-2011, 12:23 AM
I have always used ro water but decided upon filling my new tank with tap water to test it. To my surprise it's not to bad. It's 0 on nitrate,ammonia ph is around the 6.5-7 mark. The colours are to close to tell for sure. Gh is around 120-180 and kh around 180. Would you guys use this water or take 4-5 days to fill with ro water?

kien
09-26-2011, 03:36 AM
There are a few reefers who use tap water just fine. Ultimately I think it comes down to a personal choice.

I like to use RO because I like the idea of adding water to my tank that has a zero TDS. This way I sort of know exactly (ish) what I'm putting into my tank. With straight tap water (in calgary and other cities) there's quite a bit of stuff (dissolved solids) in the water so you don't know what you're putting into the tank. However, this isn't necessarily a problem or a bad thing since there are quite a few reefers who use tap water without any problems.

Seamazter
09-26-2011, 04:12 AM
Im with kien on this one.
Really you will see the plus/minus in a short time.
When i changed from ro/di to tap water i noticed a short outbreak of algea but that soon went away. If your a SPS guy, you really should stay with the rodi.
RODI, someone should name their kid that
hahaha
Hey RODI.

beefORchicken
09-26-2011, 04:20 AM
i always use tap water with no problems, however my area has great water quality as it comes from glacier melt + lake reservoirs whereas land locked areas may be getting groundwater which has much more TDS (btw water quality reports are available online)

viperfish
09-26-2011, 04:32 AM
Just keep in mind that you`re at the mercy of the city water treatment plant. One screw up on their end and it`s anyone`s guess what you`re putting in your tank.

Kronk
09-26-2011, 05:57 AM
Keep in mind water quality from the tap will be seasonal, and can even degrade if there is significant rain. Kamloops installed an RO plant for all tap water so couldn't justify buying an in house unit, but i still run water through a DI canister.