PDA

View Full Version : Clowns and bubble coral

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 12:19 AM
My clowns are trying to get into my bubble coral. They are rubbing against it and looks like nipping a bit. If the hit one of its tentacles they go and rub against the sand or a rock. I don't have an anenome, tank is 6 months old. I know clowns don't need one, but should I get them one? I was thinking of a carpet anenome...thoughts?

Seamazter
09-24-2011, 12:27 AM
I would suggest perhaps a hairy green mushroom, these are common and many may have a rock with many on it.
If you move your coral and put the hairy green there they may host the new mushroom.
You could ask here if anyone has any smaller split nems.

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Pm'd

arash53
09-24-2011, 01:12 AM
I suggest , move the bubble coral somewhere else before they kill it.

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 02:34 AM
I picked up a small anenome and will put it in behind where the bubble is and move the bubble. They were sitting under the bubbles when we got home. Maybe a rush decision but I really don't want them in the bubble. I had read about these clowns and anenomes so it should be ok. Got some cool pics tho.

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Clowns jumped into anenome within 15 mins of placing in the tank. Moved bubble and all is good! So cool, female went in first, male went in once she moved out and they are both in and out! That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen...well so far with this hobby anyway!:lol:

arash53
09-24-2011, 03:16 AM
WOW thats great :) Post some pics

Seamazter
09-24-2011, 03:31 AM
Gratz

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 03:47 AM
I've turned out the lights as nem looks a little weird, didn't acclimate to light. So will see how pics with flash work.....I'm soooooo happy!

arash53
09-24-2011, 04:15 AM
which type of nem did you get, I hope you acclimated slowly.

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 04:37 AM
Sebae anenome, 30 mins temp, 30 mins drip every 5 mins. I left the house for a bit came back and it looked funny, wilty, turned out lights and it perked back up.
Pics are coming.

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 05:28 AM
I can't get the pics to upload and i'm getting tired. Will try again tomorrow though.

Timbits
09-24-2011, 09:43 AM
congrats! i think watching the clowns play in the anemone is the coolest thing :biggrin:

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 01:17 PM
I just added the clowns on Wednesday and last night I noticed them in the bubble so it looked like they wanted to get into something....I've read that some can take a long time before they will move in, even the lfs said it would take about a week, so to see them domit right away was pretty amazing! The nem has moved a bit, backed up into the rock, hope that's where it stays.

mayheim
09-24-2011, 04:17 PM
I have a couple that have made a home in my Kenya Trees. so that mught be an option for you.

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Well the nem I picked up last nite, I posted pics on another forum I use and was told that it's bleached as it's whitish yellow and needs go be nursed back to health. It's a sebae nem with purple tips. The store had 2 diff colors, one more beige and we liked this one cuz it was brighter and wasn't told it was unhealthy. Was at another lfs last week and saw the same ones, same color. I have 2 t5s white and blue and vertex LEDs white and blue. My corals are all growing. Do I have a problem with this nem??

mayheim
09-24-2011, 05:11 PM
I know they don't require a lot of light. I have a carpet and a red bubble tip. They both haved housed themselves wiithin my live rock..not in direct light. My clown fish spend the day going from the nems to the Kenya
Trees. They also don't like direct water flow on them. So that may be something else to consider. Look at the mouth on the nem. If it is wide open it is probably stress. I would turn your fans of they will find a home. Avoid the temptation of moving them all the time..placing them were you would like them to be. They tend to want to find a spot were they feel "safe". Im running combo six t5 and 3 250 watt mh. Unit is 72 inches. My nems are down low out of light, out of direct light.

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I've read they require med light and flow. He's tucked right into the rock now, fed last nite, was excreting stuff this morning, clowns were trying to help remove....gross...haven't seen the mouth since I first put him in, even when I fed just grabbed the food with it's tentacles and it disappeared. Lights have gone off for the afternoon, my t5 light clips broke so have to figure out how to rehang them. Skimmer is in the tank so only front half available for lights and that's where my LEDs are....if it's not one thing it's another....

dc4
09-24-2011, 06:53 PM
I've read they require med light and flow. He's tucked right into the rock now, fed last nite, was excreting stuff this morning, clowns were trying to help remove....gross...haven't seen the mouth since I first put him in, even when I fed just grabbed the food with it's tentacles and it disappeared. Lights have gone off for the afternoon, my t5 light clips broke so have to figure out how to rehang them. Skimmer is in the tank so only front half available for lights and that's where my LEDs are....if it's not one thing it's another....

I bought a purple/pink sabae a few weeks ago and it may look bleached depending on the type of light you are using. I am using a led setup as well and it definitely looks more white/bleached in color until my lights turn off and then you can definitely see that it is purplish/pink. It was only the size of a twoonie at the lfs and it tripled in size after the first day so I would say its quite happy where it is.

Coralgurl
09-24-2011, 07:16 PM
It's def whitish yellow, even with lights off. Puple pink would be really cool as well. It looks better with lights out too, puffier. We turn out the lights in the afternoon, then back on in the evenings for a few hours. I have to a water change, my phosphates are at 0.25, but everything else is good. Got the light rehung as well, phew.

Coralgurl
09-25-2011, 02:31 PM
How do I know when the nem has put it's foot down? I've had my power heads off, but turned the mp 10 on yesterday, I was home all day and could keep an eye on things, nem hasn't moved, tucked into the rock. Should I turn the mp 40 on and see what happens? The 10 doesn't seem to push a lot of water where the nem is located. I'm hoping the nem stays where it is, front and centre...lol

Coralgurl
09-29-2011, 07:23 PM
nem started wandering last night, and is on the move again today. I couldn't find it for a bit, and noticed it behind some rocks. Should I move it or let it be? I have my power heads covered. It stayed in its original position for 5 days and is now moving and on its 3rd spot. I know they move until they find a happy spot, how long should this go on for? I'm taking my MP 40 back today as something is wrong with it so running my 10 on full.

Funny, now the clowns seem lost, they are not following it.