PDA

View Full Version : "boiled" live rock

Chad
02-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Ok,

Sooo, I made a big mistake, I bought some live rock.. and shoved them in my change water until today when I would have time to add them to the tank. Well, I put a broken heater in and for about 20 hours the temp of the water was over 90 degrees.. So, I get home and find of course.. a graveyard of life on the bottom of the container... well I figured, what can I do, but just put it in the tank.. rock smelt fine, but the water stunk big time. (the rock only had coraline growth on it to begin with). So, I am done and I thought well I will give the graveyard to my not yet hooked up pod breeding tank and when I finished I looked in the bottom of the container to find slews of flatworms (dead of course)..

My question is... (finaly right?) : do you think I should rip out the rock I put in my tank? Or are the flatworms cooked for good?

Thanks

StirCrazy
02-03-2004, 05:27 AM
how bad do you want to get rid of the flat worms?

also, I would wa5tch that rock now as it will cycle big time. it might be a idea to cycle it for a couple weeks in a seperate container (unless you are just starting this tank that is)

Steve

Chad
02-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Well, I took the rocks out and put a few of the smaller pieces in my main tank.. maybe 1 lb worth.. I didn't think it would cycle too much? You think the 90 degree water did not get rid of the flatworms? Also, I had no idea the rock contained flatworms.. in some ways I am glad it happened..

Also, the other rock I have in my "pod refugium"

StirCrazy
02-03-2004, 05:33 AM
personaly I hate the idea of flat worms so much seeing that I would pull all the rock, boil it and start over.. but that is just me and my obsessive compulsive side :mrgreen:

I say it should be cycled in a seperat container because I don't think you got all the dead bodies out of the rock and they will rot causing a nitrite / amonia spike .

Steve

Chad
02-03-2004, 05:39 AM
personaly I hate the idea of flat worms so much seeing that I would pull all the rock, boil it and start over.. but that is just me and my obsessive compulsive side :mrgreen:

I say it should be cycled in a seperat container because I don't think you got all the dead bodies out of the rock and they will rot causing a nitrite / amonia spike .

Steve

Well, I think I pretty much "did" boil it.. I really cannot see anything surviving that.. but maybe? Which is why I am asking you experts :mrgreen: heheh I'll take out some of the rock and get it cycled.. lets hope its not too bad..

Namscam
02-03-2004, 05:55 AM
is it really necessary to cycle your rocks because when ever I buy rocks from the LFS or even Deb from calgary I did not cycle my rocks and just put it into the tank right away...Nothings died yet and my levels are fine.

And wow how lucky you are that you killed the flat worms..

Chad
02-03-2004, 05:57 AM
100% I would cycle your rock from the LFS.. from other peoples tanks its not so bad since they are generaly already cycled.

Have to remember the stuff at the LFS was shipped in boxes, with no light no heat basicly, could be sitting on the runway for who knows how long.. by the time its in the LFS hands things are dieing left and right.. so, ya.. you need to cycle those rocks.