PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Moorish Idol + Zoanthids = Unhappy Me

cale262
09-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I knew before getting a Moorish Idol that they were known nippers and would possibly consume soft coral polyps…Before purchasing I observed this fish at my LFS for about a month, he was housed in a tank full of zoanthids and was a veracious pellet eater, signs that comforted me into accepting the risk and gamble of adding him to my reef system. Things were great for the first couple months, he was eating a variety of foods, eating everything he was offered. None of my corals or zoo’s showed any sign of decline, everything was happy. A couple weeks ago my wife and I decided it was time for a mini vacation, a week in Radium was planned and arrangements were made with a friend to sit the house and aquariums, something which he has done for us several times in the past with out issue…We packed our bags and hit the road.

When we returned home my Idol had met me at the glass in the usual manner, like a dog greeting his owner home after a long absence, then I noticed almost immediately that something had changed …90% of the Zoanthids had disappeared, the only ones I could find were hidden in tight spots or in areas of higher water flow, hundreds of zoo’s wiped out in a little more than a week. That really hurt. On one hand I have always wanted a Moorish Idol but had put it out of my head for the longest time and on the other hand, the zoo’s had really started to take off, everything was looking great…

I’m now split, keep the happy hungry Idol or restart the zoo garden…Man this sux.

The Codfather
09-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Keep the idol, Brian. Or.......Let me buy it.

sphelps
09-23-2011, 06:21 PM
voting idol as well, zoos are already gone and everyone has them, not too many idols around.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Keep the Idol and start a smaller tank if you want a zoa farm.

globaldesigns
09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
I know how you feel. Had thousands of gorgeous zoas, lots of Aussie and rare stuff. Beautiful colors.... But who would figure my Hippo Tang (Dori) would develop a taste for them. Well still have Dori, but don't have a single zoa anymore. So much for a reef safe fish! This is just something you have to suck up and go "Oh Well" as in this hobby, you just never know what will happen.

naesco
09-23-2011, 10:23 PM
I am shocked that there are still LFS importing them.
Your Moorish Idol has next to zero chance of living in any reefers tank and I am surprised the LFS did not tell you that.
I would return it to the LFS for a full credit. It is their problem.
They should never have imported it.

blacknife
09-23-2011, 10:53 PM
he must be doing good if he still has it and you think next than 0. arn't morish idols captive breed somewhere for human consumption?

Madreefer
09-23-2011, 10:58 PM
The OP expalined his situation about how he observed the fish for over a month before he bought it and the problem he had with his zoas disappearing. I would assume he did his research. It's quite simple to see that he was just sharing his experience. Not once did he ask for any advise. So along comes someone who's every answer seems to be the same thing. "How dare a LFS bring in that species, take it back and tell the LFS they should never bring that in again" or something else along the lines as "your tank is too small". Do you ever have anything positive to contribute? If you have a tank at all than yor a hypocrite. You think your fish or coral came from a package that you just add water to a suddenly appear?

cale262
09-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Your Moorish Idol has next to zero chance of living in any reefers tank and I am surprised the LFS did not tell you that.

I imagine that if said LFS was so negligent in action, returning the fish would only be condemning it to a certain death. Thus being the case, returning the fish would be an irresponsible act on my part. This leaves me but one reasonable and practicable course of action, keep the fish and look after it's welfare to the best of my ability.

I also have a Feather Starfish housed in this tank, it arrived as a hitchhiker in some live rock. All the research I've done to date in reference to this stowaway reports that keeping it alive for any period of time in a home reef tank is impossible. It's been in my care for more than a year now showing no evidence of decline.

The Codfather
09-23-2011, 11:32 PM

BS. Im sorry, but I've kept Idols for years. And once my tank is set up, I plan on getting them again. Every post I read of your says the same thing. They are just like any other fish. Do your research and you will have success.

naesco
09-24-2011, 12:04 AM
I imagine that if said LFS was so negligent in action, returning the fish would only be condemning it to a certain death. Thus being the case, returning the fish would be an irresponsible act on my part. This leaves me but one reasonable and practicable course of action, keep the fish and look after it's welfare to the best of my ability.

I also have a Feather Starfish housed in this tank, it arrived as a hitchhiker in some live rock. All the research I've done to date in reference to this stowaway reports that keeping it alive for any period of time in a home reef tank is impossible. It's been in my care for more than a year now showing no evidence of decline.

Cale for many years every LFS had Moorish Idol in their stores. It was when reefers got educated and basically boycotted buying them when importing stopped. It was tough to see these fish slowly decline and suffer and die in the LFS but than the LFS stopped ordering them.
I agree with you. Keep it and do the best that you can.

Codfather your recommendation which leads reefers especially newbies to buy Moorish Idol is totally irresponsible. This fish is virtually impossible to keep.

Hustler
09-24-2011, 12:18 AM
BS. Im sorry, but I've kept Idols for years. And once my tank is set up, I plan on getting them again. Every post I read of your says the same thing. They are just like any other fish. Do your research and you will have success.

Well said :)
I would keep it in a heartbeat.... you never know... it may get sick of em and you will have them back

The Codfather
09-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Cale for many years every LFS had Moorish Idol in their stores. It was when reefers got educated and basically boycotted buying them when importing stopped. It was tough to see these fish slowly decline and suffer and die in the LFS but than the LFS stopped ordering them.
I agree with you. Keep it and do the best that you can.

Codfather your recommendation which leads reefers especially newbies to buy Moorish Idol is totally irresponsible. This fish is virtually impossible to keep.

I don't recall recommending anything to a noobie. What I said was if you research, you will have success. Through research you will find that this is not a beginner fish and it needs special conditions. If you can meet those conditions, you'll have success. If you can't figure that out, you probably won't have any success at this hobby.
Sorry Brian for hijacking your thread. I get tired of hearing the same thing over and over. I think it's great that you have an active idol, they are as far as im concerned one of the most beautiful fish you can get.