PDA

View Full Version : Ocean currents at night

babyreef
09-23-2011, 03:55 AM
BLANK

mike31154
09-23-2011, 05:46 AM
I use the night mode on my VorTech MP40's, works great. As far as I can tell I haven't harmed any of my livestock by doing so and yes, I'm saving money on reduced power use. As another bonus, the sound level drops at the lower power setting which is nice during nighttime. I'm sure there are plenty of variables in reefs in the ocean, some are in lagoons where there is surely less flow 24/7 than on reefs that are more exposed. I find it a stretch that we think we can replicate what truly happens in the big pond. Really depends on your livestock I reckon. Try it, keep an eye on what you have and if it works, be happy, save power.

Funky_Fish14
09-23-2011, 07:37 AM
I dont know about everyone else but to me it makes sense to reduce it at night in the interests of the livestock. Yes the ocean has a ton of flow and yes the reefs are covered in waterflow, and this is where all the coral growth happens, but there are a ton of dead spots 'behind', below, in crevices where corals are not growing... etc... where fish can go to rest, or within the corals themselves. I think we aim for 'no dead spots' in our tanks... in someone's tank who has a ton of vortechs, it would make sense that if its raging flow most of the time, to turn it down at night. I do not turn my vortech down at night, but when i add my second one I do plan to turn them down at night, because it will eliminate my dead spots, and I want my fish to have some rest.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Chris