PDA

View Full Version : Purigen Recharging

globaldesigns
09-23-2011, 01:39 AM
I am recharging my purigen. Anybody done this? I have it in my 1:1 mixture of bleach/water, and will put it in water with prime tomorrow to soak.

Questions:

1.) Who has done this successfully? Does recharging actually work like new?
2.) Any additional steps you took, otherwise not noted on the recharge directions?

Thanks

outacontrol
09-23-2011, 03:48 AM
I use purigen in my fresh water tank, to recharge it I soak it in 1:1 bleach / water mix for a few minutes, then rinse it under tap water and repeat until it is white again.
Regular bleach does not bond therefore a good rinse is all that is needed, then again a prime rinse wont hurt.
It appears to work several times just like new.

The Grizz
09-23-2011, 03:51 AM
It should be soaked for a 24 hr period in the bleach solution.

SteveConn
01-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Dont usually resurrect an old thread, but I am wondering what peoples opinion of purigen is? Right now I am running GFO and Carbon with a skimmer. Is Purigen more efficient than carbon .. especially in a tank where I spoil my softies with feeding...but also keeping SPS.

globaldesigns
01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Dont usually resurrect an old thread, but I am wondering what peoples opinion of purigen is? Right now I am running GFO and Carbon with a skimmer. Is Purigen more efficient than carbon .. especially in a tank where I spoil my softies with feeding...but also keeping SPS.

I just removed mine, not because it didn't work, cuz things are going well, and I don't have issues like algae. I am going to recharge, dry it out and keep it.

I think as I just stated above, about recharging it is the best reason to use it. You don't throw it out, you clean and reuse, so it is a money saver.

hillegom
01-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Global, I was thinking of using purigen in a QT tank. If later you added some medicine, would you have to take the purigen out?
Thanks

The Grizz
01-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Yes the Purigen should come out.

globaldesigns
01-12-2012, 10:26 PM
I agree with greg, yes remove it.