PDA

View Full Version : Brightwell Sponge Excel Test

windcoast reefs
09-23-2011, 01:11 AM
So I was in my LFS when there coral order from indonesia came in. I have been looking for a blue sponge for quite a while and they had a large sponge that just arrived, so I picked it up. It is around 5" across and 6" tall. While I was putting the sponge into my display, I saw one of the other LFS had gotten in Brightwell sponge excel. So I picked some up. I talked to a few people and nobody has used this stuff before, so I am going to do a test to see if this stuff works or if it is a gimmick.

So here is the sponge today after I put it in my display.
It is currently under 150 watts of LED's and it is in a area with medium light. It has a power head pointing towards it around a foot and a half away for flow and I am supplementing the tank with a amino acid blend with food, ZeoBak, Phol's coral Vitalizer and Bio-pellets.

I will be dosing the sponge excel daily. I will be putting 2 drops in a day to start and in a few weeks I will increase the dose as needed.

Hopefully all goes well and my first sponge doesn't die on me! If you have any recommendations, please let me know!

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=567&pictureid=4702

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=567&pictureid=4701

windcoast reefs
09-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Okay so just a few hours after I dosed the sponge excel, every coal I had completely closed up and releasing a slime. I am going to wait until the mooring and see what happens. But I think I may have to do a water change if it persists.

Bblinks
09-23-2011, 03:56 AM
See how it compares to sponge power by zeovit. Would be interesting.

daniella3d
09-23-2011, 04:27 AM
This look like a blue haliclona sponge, so it's photosynthetic and does not need other type of food.

I put some zeovit sponge power in my tank, 2 drops per 70 gallons and that's more than enough. If your coral are not reacting right with this product, you should not use it. In any case, you should always start very slowly with any food additive.

The only thing that might kill such sponge is exposing it to air. It's pretty tough. I have mine for a year and half and a few pieces broke and I put it on my live rock and in a day it was attached. You did well to take a large colony because they grow very slowly. Sponges can live very long and some are thought to be immortal :)