PDA

View Full Version : RBTA: 2 mouths = split?

dc4
09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Wondering if anyone here has had a bta that has grown 2 mouths and if it means that the bta will indeed split from the mother or could it just stay as 1 bta with multiple mouths...?

I have 6 nems of different sizes (4x btas, 1x lta, and 1x borneman) on 1 side of my tank for my pair of clowns to host in, although the female usually drives the male away from them, and would need to start looking for a good spot for the clone if it is going to split. :mrgreen:

Bblinks
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
When my rbta split it generally splits right down the middle. then each split will use part of the original mouth to creat a new mouth. I have never seem mine grown two mouth on one disk before.

dc4
09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
When my rbta split it generally splits right down the middle. then each split will use part of the original mouth to creat a new mouth. I have never seem mine grown two mouth on one disk before.

Hmm, strange... I know for sure it only had 1 mouth when I got it as it was only the size of a nickel/quarter and that was about 3 months ago.

I have been target feeding the nems small formula 1 pellets almost daily to increase their size and that's on top of the tanks daily feeding of mysis, bloodworms, and the occasional coral frenzy addition.

I wonder if I am feeding it so much that it needs 2 mouths to eat everything I'm giving it, lol. :lol:

Money pit
09-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Assuming its been in your tank a while and is settled in and healthy. You can get a sharp knife and cut it in half if you want it split. With 2 mouths it wont take long to heal up as if it was never cut.

Bblinks
09-22-2011, 09:41 PM
I am guessing it should prolly split soon. just keep on feeding it and let it split. I have sold every one of my rbta split ever since when the first split, and always at a good price. if I were you I would wait a couple of days after it splits until the mouth is healed, then I would feed the crap out of it so it get nice and bubblely, then sell the one of them. of course you ain't gonna get rich selling them but its always nice for the hobby to pay you back something.

dc4
09-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I am guessing it should prolly split soon. just keep on feeding it and let it split. I have sold every one of my rbta split ever since when the first split, and always at a good price. if I were you I would wait a couple of days after it splits until the mouth is healed, then I would feed the crap out of it so it get nice and bubblely, then sell the one of them. of course you ain't gonna get rich selling them but its always nice for the hobby to pay you back something.

Lol, only problem with making money from it is that it goes right back into the tank in another form... :doh:

Ill try upping the feedings with some chopped krill and see if that will speed up the process...