PDA

View Full Version : ro/di water

roverT
02-03-2004, 12:39 AM
does the water need to have RO on it or can I get away with just regular filters and carbon?

Aquattro
02-03-2004, 12:47 AM
What is a "regular" filter? Generally, RO is preferred to avoid unknown contaminants getting into the tank. It also helps reduce/eliminate problem algae. Is it required? I suppose not, but I use and recommend it.

roverT
02-03-2004, 01:00 AM
regular being not as fine as an ro filter media

Aquattro
02-03-2004, 01:03 AM
No such thing. RO isn't a fine filter, it's aspecially designed membrane that only allows H2O molecules thru. It isn't a micro filter. A regualr filter will only remove particulate matter, not dissolved solids or chemical compounds. RO or DI is preferred.

robbyville
02-03-2004, 05:21 PM
If you have or can get a TDS meter to check your tap water quality that may help you to decide. Vanocuver has very good quality water. At Whistler our water generally measures in at around 30tds/ppm. Which isn't too bad I suppose.

Still, if you plan on having a reef tank, it's definitely a good idea to have RO/DI water. I have been using it for the past year and really notice a difference from when I was using cleansed tap water.

HTH,

Rob

StirCrazy
02-04-2004, 07:25 PM
If you have or can get a TDS meter to check your tap water quality that may help you to decide. Vanocuver has very good quality water. At Whistler our water generally measures in at around 30tds/ppm. Which isn't too bad I suppose.

Still, if you plan on having a reef tank, it's definitely a good idea to have RO/DI water. I have been using it for the past year and really notice a difference from when I was using cleansed tap water.

HTH,

Rob

A TDS meter will give you no idea as to your water quality. Victoria has a 17 to 23 PPM hardness and that is all the meter will tell you. what you realy need to know is what makes up that hardness and what other chemicals are int he water that are not being picted up by a TDS meter.

Steve

apepper
02-04-2004, 07:59 PM
If you are interested in the general water quality in the Victoria area you can get monthly water reports from the CRD web site. This will only tell you what the water was like at that specific test period though and will not tell you what you may end up with on any given day. It's probably best just to use RO water and then you don't have to worry about it.

http://www.crd.bc.ca/water/qreports.htm

robbyville
02-05-2004, 02:16 AM
I stand corrected! :lol: