PDA

View Full Version : massive blow!

slats35
09-22-2011, 03:13 AM
I just learned tonight that I have a major case of ich!! I have lost 6 fish in 2 days.... Dumb ass I am! I guess the 2 years of salt water still has alot to teach me!!! Now I have massive water changes coming up and a major claen of my whole system. Just venting a bit...thanks!

kien
09-22-2011, 03:45 AM
I just learned tonight that I have a major case of ich!! I have lost 6 fish in 2 days.... Dumb ass I am! I guess the 2 years of salt water still has alot to teach me!!! Now I have massive water changes coming up and a major claen of my whole system. Just venting a bit...thanks!

ouch.. sorry to hear :(

Are you certain it is ich? Losing 6 fish in 2 days to ich seems like a lot. It may very well be ich, but that also sounds characteristic of Marine Velvet. One of the stages of marine velvet has the fish developing smallish white spots that can appear like ich. Just throwing that out there.

howdy20012002
09-22-2011, 03:50 AM
I 2nd that thought.
IMO, it would be unusual to lose that many fish with ich that quickly.
have you tested your parameters?? for fish to die that quickly with ich there is something wrong with your tank.
when was the last time you added a fish?

slats35
09-22-2011, 03:51 AM
I sure hope not!! I'am pretty sure it is ich...we will see what happens in the next few days tho... fingers crossed! I really don't want aymore to die!!!

kien
09-22-2011, 03:53 AM
I sure hope not!! I'am pretty sure it is ich...we will see what happens in the next few days tho... fingers crossed! I really don't want aymore to die!!!

Sadly if it is marine velvet more will die if you don't medicate them right away.

slats35
09-22-2011, 03:54 AM
I added a new fish 3 weeks ago! It died first!!! I lost my second fish on sunday...but he looked bad 2 days before that. I guess he was a little tougher and lasted a few days. I also have 6 more fish that have white spots on them with no symptoms YET!

howdy20012002
09-22-2011, 04:00 AM
it may be ich then if it was over a 3 week period....generally velvet will work faster than that i believe.
do you have corals or inverts in the tank?
if not, drop the salinity and it should get rid of the ich.

slats35
09-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Yeah I dropped the salinity a bit. I think I will do a big water change tomorrow. I also have to clean my power heads as they are pretty dirty right now!! My skimmer needs a good over haul too. I guess thats what happens when you leave your brother in law in charge of your tank for a month!!(i was on holidays)

slats35
09-22-2011, 04:42 AM
Yes I have alot of hermit crabs in there as well as nas snails! I generally have some zoo's and one peice of sps!

dsaundry
09-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Been there and done that, went through a horrible spell of ich at the beginning of the year, imo there isn't going to be a heck of a lot you can do right now other than maintain water parameters and keep temp consistent, as usual soak your food with garlic and if you can put a decent sized uv sterilizer on it may help. After the chips fall where they may, focus on slow rebuild, I didn't add a thing to my tank for about 6 - 7 weeks and started real slow. Invest in a qt tank if you can {and have the room for it}. There isn't a whole lot more you can do now , just wait for the dust to settle, see what survives and go from there. Good luck .I feel your pain.

howdy20012002
09-22-2011, 04:35 PM
i wouldn't suggest dropping the salinity below normal with the SPS and snails.
I have had hermits in hyposalinity before, but not other things.
good luck.

Bblinks
09-22-2011, 06:50 PM
I would feed the rest of your fish nutritious selcom and garlic soaked food(pe mysis), as long as they are eating, they are fighting and that should be half the battle. best of luck.

Cal_stir
09-22-2011, 09:10 PM
garlic, fresh garlic, put it in a blender pour the juice in the tank and soak the dry food in it.
a cleaner wrasse works wonders too.