PDA

View Full Version : Move overflow? Am I crazy?

FaRico
09-22-2011, 01:53 AM
Ok, so I've read a few posts on here and moving an overflow is mentioned. I'm interested in a tank but don't like it's location of the overflow. How do you change the location? I would want to move the location about 6 to 8". How is this done?

If I'm missing a thread that already discusses this I apologize.

Thanks.

Dez
09-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Cut out the existing overflow, then clean up the edges really well (razor blade, wire brush etc). Then silicone the overflow into it's new location. It is just tedious and time consuming.

AquaticFinatic
09-22-2011, 02:17 AM
You put a piece of glass over the old holes with silicone then drill new holes where you want them.

FaRico
09-22-2011, 02:19 AM
Oh. Well that seems less complicated than I thought. Thanks guys.

Harpo
09-22-2011, 02:23 AM
You put a piece of glass over the old holes with silicone then drill new holes where you want them.

Would this not weaken the bottom glass and cause potential cracking and then flooding? (Reefers worst nightmare!) Never done it before so just wondering...:biggrin:

Harpo
09-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Cut out the existing overflow, then clean up the edges really well (razor blade, wire brush etc). Then silicone the overflow into it's new location. It is just tedious and time consuming.

Just wondering if this would work:

If you removed the overflow and put a spike for the drainage from the bottom pointing up would that work? Or would fish get stuck to it? Just some ideas but never done it so it may not work...lol

AquaticFinatic
09-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Would this not weaken the bottom glass and cause potential cracking and then flooding? (Reefers worst nightmare!) Never done it before so just wondering...:biggrin:

I think you have to keep about an inch apart for each hole so you should be ok. You should maybe speak to a tank builder to confirm this. This is just my 2cents :biggrin:

Ps speak to Dave or brad at concept.