PDA

View Full Version : Brass pipes in a reef?

Quinn
02-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Brass is OK for our tanks right? I want to use a brass pipe temporarily, only about five minutes, to take care of something.

Old Guy
02-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Isn't brass made with copper and?

Aquattro
02-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Copper is used to create brass. I wouldn't use it.

Scales
02-02-2004, 10:34 PM
I was researching a brass needle valve and was told by the manufacturer that although not listed on the packaging, it (and their other brass products) contained a high amount of copper...I recall somewhere around 40%.

Jack
02-03-2004, 12:09 AM
What are you gonna use it for?

Quinn
02-03-2004, 12:35 AM
It's a long story. Basically I need to use it to fill my calcium reactor, and being the lazy SOB I am, I'd like to create some type of device that I could hook to a pump to do this, and pump water right through the effluent tube into the reactor chamber.

Aquattro
02-03-2004, 12:48 AM
How do you normally feed the reactor? Won't that fill it?

StirCrazy
02-03-2004, 12:55 AM
brass ia a alloy usaly comprised of copper and tin, and will be harmfull in your tank.

Steve

Aquattro
02-03-2004, 12:57 AM
brass ia a alloy usaly comprised of copper and tin, and will be harmfull in your tank.

Steve

I think we covered the "it's bad part". But thanks. :razz:

Got picks of the bracket yet?

StirCrazy
02-03-2004, 01:06 AM

Steve

I think we covered the "it's bad part". But thanks. :razz:

Got picks of the bracket yet?

I will have in a bit
got to do two more glues.

Steve

Quinn
02-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Normally I open it to fill it but that's a pain. Right now the intake keeps pulling out all the water, so it's totally empty. I tried to siphon water into it but once again the intake just sucked it right back out (yes, the intake was being an outtake).

Jack
02-03-2004, 03:30 AM
I don't understand how your reactor is hooked up.

StirCrazy
02-03-2004, 03:36 AM
Normally I open it to fill it but that's a pain. Right now the intake keeps pulling out all the water, so it's totally empty. I tried to siphon water into it but once again the intake just sucked it right back out (yes, the intake was being an outtake).

I think we need pics.. sounds like you have a issue with the way you hooked it up.. a couple pic might clear it al up in our heads so we can sugest a fix

Steve

titus
02-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Hello,

Try to place a large bucket of water above the reactor, remove the siphon hose from the reactor, place one end of the siphon hose into the bucket, suck from the other end, and as you see water is travelling through the tube, quickly connect it back to the reactor. Make sure you have a long tube though.

Titus

kari
02-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Or you could attach a mini jet to the reactor inlet line end and turn it on when filling only. Or modify your recirc line by adding a JG shut off valve (like the pic I set you a while back) to assist refilling. I am assuming this is the same reactor you had last year.