PDA

View Full Version : Snails in the PG area

1eyedjyde
09-21-2011, 07:08 PM
As the title states, if anyone in the PG area has any snails they would be willing to part with, let me know. I'm looking for some reef cleaners to get rid of diatoms.

Thanks

whatcaneyedo
09-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Alan just brought in a few abalone and some ceriths. But I don't think either of those will do anything to diatoms. He is suppose to arrive home today. Let me know if you need his contact information.

I personally only have 4 snails in my entire 240gal system. That is unless you count the mini hitch hikers.

1eyedjyde
09-22-2011, 04:23 AM
I do have Alans contact info. I will probably pick up a few to help eliminate the diatoms. Since you only have a few snails in your tank, do any diatoms you get say from adding a new piece of rock, that seems to be only where they grow, just die off due to lack of nutrience in the water?

whatcaneyedo
09-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes they just came and went away basically on their own as each piece matures. I added a large piece of base rock in May that turned indistinguishable from my other rock in no time. I just wanted to point out that the old recommendation of one snail/crab per gallon is completely ridiculous and unnecessary. Optimal water chemistry, adequate filtration and stability is far more important.